Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 25-05-2004 , 02:07 AM

Problem with extruding :(

I'm doing a tutorial from Maya 4.5 fundamentals, where I am box modeling an alien with a cube and smooth proxy. Everything works great until I try to extrude the front of the face. In the video tutorial, the guy selects two front faces and extrudes them, and their is no gap between the two faces (but there is a gap between the extruded shape and the mirrored image.) Then, he deletes the faces between the extruded shape and the mirror, and it all joins together. Well, when I do it, it makes kind of a hole in the front of the shape. I have retryed twice. I figure there is some kind of problem since when I extrude the faces it turns to four instead of two. Anyone have any idea what is going wrong? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-05-2004 , 08:30 AM
polygons>>tool options >> keep faces together.

that should sort you out.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 25-05-2004 , 07:18 PM
Thankyou so much! It worked!

# 4 26-05-2004 , 11:00 AM
I had the exact same problem.. They don't tell you to keep Faces Together-option to ON...

------------------------------------------------
...addict...but luckely for me it's Maya!
------------------------------------------------
# 5 26-05-2004 , 11:57 AM
it's one of those things you learn (like you two just have user added image)

And just for the record get used to it maya doesnt tell you a LOT of things!!!

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB