Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-01-2013 , 10:13 PM

set channels to null

i have rotated an object. now i want to set rotation values to null. but i also want that the rotation tool is still rotated relative to the world axis. is there any way to do so?

# 2 04-01-2013 , 10:35 PM
The thin red line
modify/ freeze transformation. is that what you are looking for..............dave

# 3 04-01-2013 , 10:54 PM
no, it's not. after "freeze transformation" the rotation tool becomes oriented to the world axis. i want it to stay rotated, but set rotation values to null.

# 4 04-01-2013 , 10:58 PM
The thin red line
Sorry you have lost me...............dave

# 5 04-01-2013 , 11:00 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 6 04-01-2013 , 11:03 PM
i want to set rotation values to null. when i do it with "freeze transformation", it sets values to null, but it also orients the rotation tool to the world axis. i want to prevent that rotation.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 04-01-2013 , 11:05 PM
i already tried the method from the other tread before. it changes rotation values and i get same result as above.

# 8 05-01-2013 , 01:54 AM
You cannot do what you are trying unless you parent an object inside another. If you create an object and rotate it. Then you take another object and make it the child of the rotated object and then freeze transforms on the child. The childs LOCAL axis will now match the parents rotation angles but will have a rotation vector of <0 0 0> relative to its container.

Think of it this way. When you freeze transforms the object pivot will align with the pivot of the container it is in. In the case of an object in world space that would be the world axis rotation.

Now create a box and rotate it say <10,20,15> and now create a second box. look at it's local axis. It matches the world axis and it's rotation vector is <0 0 0>.

Now parent make this cube the child of the rotated one (1st pick the new cube, then shift select the rotated one, and press p).

Now the new cube is a child of the parent and it's local rotation vector still matched the world axis and is <0 0 0>.

Now select the child (the new cube) and freeze transforms. The local axis of the child will rotate to match the parent cube <10 20 15> but the local rotation vector for the new cube will be <0 0 0>.

Now remove the new cube from the parent. It's rotation vector stays the same orientation but becomes <10 20 15> relative to it's container - WORLD SPACE.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-01-2013 at 01:57 AM.
# 9 05-01-2013 , 03:33 AM

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 10 05-01-2013 , 04:13 AM
If you are looking to "zero" out the joint but keep the rotation value you will want to unparent the children of that joint and set the "joint orient" to the axis you desire and zero out the main rotation. Then you reparent the children.

Like CTBram said you can have the rotation set to object by double-clicking the rotation button and setting the rotation to local or world.

# 11 06-01-2013 , 01:24 AM
thank you for help. simply putting the object inside a group solved the problem. i hope it won't disrupt the work of the rig.

# 12 06-01-2013 , 01:32 AM
I don't rig much so I am not sure how the world space / local space effects joints so I cannot really comment. I did not notice you were working with joint orientation.

Someone more experienced with rigging will hopefully chime in on what are the best practices for joint orientation.

# 13 06-01-2013 , 02:14 AM
Rigging is almost impossible to teach on a thread. Just too many things. One thing you will want to do is enable your "LRA" also known as "Local Rotation Axis." This is in your display options under the display column and transform display. This will show you the proper axis of your joints. There is a plugin known as comet joint orient that is very good as well at orienting them. As previously stated you can manipulate the joint orientations to mimic the rotation values and then zero out the rotation values and have the joint zeroed out but still in the same rotation since it is now within the orientation and not the rotation values. You can also use aim constraints to aim a parent to a child joint and use a locator as the up vector. Then you zero the child orientation out to have a parent/child chain that is oriented properly.

# 14 06-01-2013 , 10:26 AM
no-no, i wanted to set a control object so, that it has same orientation like a joint, but orientation values=0. it works now, after i put the control object inside a group.

# 15 06-01-2013 , 02:02 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
With regards to control objects, I find its best to create said object and move and postition it to the joint in question, then use v to snap the control to the joint,then freeze its transforms. select the control, then shift select the joint, go to the constrain menu>point, then select the joint then shift select the control, and go again to constrain and orient. that should keep every thing in alignment.

There are a few scripts out there that can do it better, I have one I'll dig out and post up. It allows joint rotations to be zero (yes the joint not a control) wherever you place them or rotate them so you dont have issues with having to put controls in place, you can hit the joint and it will zero out evn at an acute angle...clever shit if I do say so.

I'll have a look for it

Jay