Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-03-2012 , 02:41 PM

Smoothing Issues

Hi guys, i'm currently working on my first polygon model, so i'm a noob to Maya, its the iron man helmet,I thought it was all going well, but for some reason when i use 3 (smooth preview), some of my model appears very blocky, i've tried smoothing my normals, I've also tried using sub divisions and shaping it better but it still ain't working, if you could give me any advice on how to fix this i would be really appreciative as its starting to get pretty frustrating!!

Image of model below:

Attached Thumbnails

Ever Try, Ever Fail, No Matter. Try Again, Fail Again, Fail Better.
# 2 14-03-2012 , 02:49 PM
A major part of the problem is your topology is very irregular.

I am guessing the sharp edge is because you have two edges on top of each other. For now try this - mesh > cleanup... check the apply to all polygonal objects radio button, then go to the remove geometry section and select lamina faces, nonmanifold geometry, normals and geometry, edges with zero length, and faces with zero area and then apply and it should remove any geometry sitting on top of each other as well as clean up other bad things.

You really want to strive for evenly spaced edges that form quads and flow along the natural curvature of the head. Since the helmet is hard and will not deform you do not have to follow musculature for deformation but it may be helpful.

This might give you some tips on better topology...

https://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tut...et/helmet.html

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 14-03-2012 at 03:19 PM.