Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-09-2005 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber

newbie help ..maya 7

hiyya all. i just joined and trying to find out all the information I can. I am new to all this. I work on computers for a living and networks. so this is totally out of my league. I want to learn it and dont mind spending money .I know this is sillie but i just want to make a pug dog and have it wink at me or look real ...with fur. yes i know that will take forever so my short term goal is a small frog or little animal or weird character . .i dont know the basics and want to know them .I have looked on this site and downloaded the dog ....and kinda lost alittle bit but trying it anyways . I have looked at digital-tutorials and wondering if there basics dvd is worth it. I will spend what I need to get the basics and get a grip on everything. Please any help would be great ..also anything on this site that is worth buying ..I need something simple lol step by step and i dont care if they dumb it down for me lol ...thanks in advanced . also seen DT magazine ..would that be good to get or is there a magazine for beginners like me ? i have maya 7 and 3d max 7 ..both full versions and i have alias add ons too

# 2 25-09-2005 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber
well, the only pay tutorial site that i really go on is this one, but at the same time it would be uber helpful if you start building yourself a little library of books. Theyve got a whole line of maya 7 books coming out that you should look into. The most helpful book to me right now is THE ART OF MAYA 3rd edition. It shows all of the main concepts in maya visually, very easy to understand. For the more advanced stuff i just bought STOP STARING (facial animation) and MAYA CHARACTER ANIMATION. Ive heard good things about both but havent had much of a chance to read through them yet.

What I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm.
# 3 25-09-2005 , 11:34 PM
Subscriber
thank you ..I did buy digital tutors ...maya basics ...what would you recommend on buying on this site ..i would love to know .. . I dont mind the money part ....

# 4 26-09-2005 , 12:18 AM
all the tutorials on this site are very good....what i would recommend is to look at the bundles.....that way you not only model something...but you also texture/animate/rig/etc.... I have not seen all of them...any of kurts bundles are really good (i've done the tree frog modeling and texturing which is awesome.....the spitfire modeling and texturing)......i think you get the idea though about getting the whole series.....another really good one that i saw is kbrown's apache tutorial..that was amazing....modeling...texturing..and animating
also there is the car tutorial which is good as well...but i don't think it's back up yet..they were redoing the audio
and course the organic modeling tuts are fun..i've done the ninja and pilot girl
hope that helps
TheAnswerRP03
ps- as for what badtertle said about stop staring and maya character animation...those are great books (really amazing actually)..but i wouldn't recommend it to a total newbie..i would get comfortable with the interface first and what better way than with a couple of tutsuser added image.........and the art of maya is good as well...it's more of a book i looked at before i got into maya...and it got me really excited

# 5 26-09-2005 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
well i wish this site broke the tutorials up with beginners and advanced and which ones to look at ..I am thinking of getting the tree frog ..i was looking at it tonight ..which other ones would be good ..cause some of them look very intimidating and i dont want to get a hard one and then just lose interest cause it is too complicated ..and what series are you talking about ?

thank you everyone in advanced ..I love your input ....

to be honest i thought i had to get all modeling ones to learn how to make the images first ....just cause i didnt know ....

# 6 26-09-2005 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
the free tutorials are a good place to start. They give bunch of the basics. After that, youll have a better understanding of what to learn. You might also want to look at the dvd bundle offers. Theres a low poly one that takes you throughall the steps of how to make a model, texture it, and rig it (i think...i only boght the texture vid) but look at the dvd section to see what i mean.

What I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm.
# 7 26-09-2005 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber
okay thanks for the advice. ..bad ...I am downloading a couple now ....does anyone know which frog is the best to download for a newbie ?