Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 31-03-2004 , 03:12 AM
you're welcome - i struggled quite a bit with this myself .

No, not parenting, but light linking. You can link lights to objects by going to Window|Relationship Editors|Light Linking. In that window you can select which light should light up which object. That way you can have one light for your planet and a separate light for your atmosphere.

A conscious power has drawn the plan of life...
# 17 31-03-2004 , 09:08 PM
Great i will post tomorrow what i have...i'm still having trouble with the glow but i think i can manage (hehehe)

again many thanks for the patience

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 18 01-04-2004 , 01:45 PM
Hey Hanuman,

I was playing and tweaking (still doing it) but this is a preview of what i've done, with ur help...obviously im working on teh bluish amount on the atmosphere and tning down the glow.....what do u think?

Attached Thumbnails

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 19 01-04-2004 , 08:57 PM
Subscriber
here is an example that I have. I did awhile ago using the technique that Hanuman has explained to you just so you can see that it does work.

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 02-04-2004 , 01:56 PM
waw, tank2002, i am happy that you managed to get that to work! Starting to look good - keep tweaking.

If you don't my suggesting more stuff: In the Render Stats of your spheres, go to Tesselation and up the amounts there - you're spheres will look much rounder and not have that jagged edge.

# 21 02-04-2004 , 04:19 PM
Hanuman:
great thanks man!!! any tips are always welcome! since I'm always learning!! I did a smooth on my last modification, does smooth is better? or working with the tesselation? my guess both are the same....right?

cbp3d: Cool thanks

again thanks both

# 22 02-04-2004 , 04:24 PM
Ok, this is what i have now i'm trying to get to the first pic on the thread...

Attached Thumbnails

# 23 04-04-2004 , 05:48 AM
starting to look really good!

Actually, being a newbie myself, I am not sure whether smooth is the same as upping the tesselation attributes. I will check that out. By the way, I made a typo in my previous post: read "Attribute Window" instead of "Render Stats" - i guess you figured that out.

# 24 05-04-2004 , 02:21 PM
Thanks, hehe i knew u meant render stats....I'm trying to use facing ratio on the glow now, and post a thread asking about tutorials for it

I think with facing ratio the glow will change as the camera moves giving a realistic dynamic look...well i think it does that...hehehe

If you know something about it let me know!!!

like always thanks!!!

# 25 05-04-2004 , 02:26 PM
this is a test i did to know where the glow should be at this frame...

you can see that there should be a light glow on the atmosphere...and i think facing ratio is the solution....instead of messing with intensity halo spread etc...

any comments appreciated

Attached Thumbnails