Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-03-2007 , 01:10 PM

Way to easily copy an animation path?

Hi, I'm working on a midterm proj. for my intro to comp. animation class.

Heres my dillemma. I have some lights on a runway that I want to flicker on and off as an airplane takes off from the runway. I have already made the animation for the lights to flicker on and off every second for ONE light. I have many more lights though, so I wa wondering is there any way to get the animation information of that one light and apply it to all the others?

While I'm here I have two more questions <.< I want to put two lights on the wings of my airplane, but I have already animated the plane itself and when I group the lights to the plane, they dont move along with the plane. Is there a way I can paste the lights to the plane and have them folloow along with the planes wings?

Also, I want to create a three light setup for this project, but I'm not sure how to make the lights follow the plane. Is there a way to make a light follow a ccertian object?

Sry for all the questions, and Thanks!
-Einder

# 2 10-03-2007 , 06:39 AM
as far as the three-light setup goes, you don't really want it to follow the plane, as no lighting setup actually follows an animated object... the animated object flows through the lit environment. having lighting follow an animated model will appear very unrealistic.

for the runway light flickering, try going into the graph editor, selecting your entire animated curve (which i'm assuming is intensity) and copy it (with ctrl + c), then paste it(with ctrl + p) in the graph editor with the other light selected. i can't tell if this will work, but it's all of about 5-10 seconds of work that may or may not help. may as well give it a go.

as for the lights to be added to the plane... open your hypergraph, and then try selecting your lights. if you have your wings grouped or parented under something else, the hypergraph will show you... middle mouse (MMB) drag your selected lights (that you want to add to the plane) onto whatever is at the top of your plane's hierarchy. that should attach them.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 10-03-2007 , 07:04 AM
THank you!