Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-12-2002 , 09:20 PM

CV curves to poly tubes

Hi.

I'm trying to create hair using following tutorials

https://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dwyi124/...air_design.htm

https://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Com...air/index.html

but I got stuck on animating hairs...

In the second tut, it says convert CV curves (well, I used cv curves) into tubes, but I don know how to convert it into poly tube... I d/led mel script from second site as they suggested, put it into shelf, and clicked on it while selecting one of the control curves but nothing happened. Is the script works in Maya4.5?? ...Personally, I feel I'm just doing something very wrong but I don know... user added image

Merabi.

# 2 20-12-2002 , 11:57 PM
I just did a quick example using Maya 4 and aw's tutorial and everything worked fine. Here's a screenshot with the steps for you. Maybe it will help a little.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 21-12-2002 , 02:10 AM

Hmmm...

I'm sorry to bother u again...

I think I'm doing wrong wiht the script. Here's wat I did to install the mel script.

I saved shelf_hair.mel script on <C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\maya> (I'm using win2k)

Start Maya 4.5, go Window -> General Editors... -> Script Editor...

After opened up the Script Editor, I opened the mel script, highlight all the lines, and use middle button and draged it into the Custom shelf on top.

Is this the way script works?

# 4 21-12-2002 , 02:27 AM

O, I got it!

O, I think I just solve the prob!

The way I was installing was wrong. I was just playing around and found that there was a little menu on the left hand side of the shelves. And there I found "Load shelf..."...

I'd better read the manual first... :p

Thanks a lot, though!!

user added image

Merabi.

# 5 21-12-2002 , 04:00 PM
Glad you figured it out though it still sounds like you installed the script in the wrong place. In your case it would go in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\maya\4.5\prefs\shelves, I believe.

If you save it there to begin with, it should automatically create a shelf for it. Then just choose "shelf tabs" in the same place where you found "load shelf." This will allow you to switch between shelves quickly. Look at my screenshot again and you can see it.

Anyway, glad you got it to work. Definitely spend time with the manual as it'll help you out tremendously. Cheers!

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 22-12-2002 , 08:57 PM

Thanks!

Thanks!

I'll do that asap!

user added image

Merabi

# 7 22-12-2002 , 11:26 PM
Sweet Tuts man THX

May the force be with you...always!
A Jedi shall not know anger nor hatred nor Love
The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions