Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-08-2007 , 02:22 AM

Apache Render Layers Question? Shadow Pass

Hi,

The Apache tutorial is amazing.

I am working on the animation section and have already completed the first render; however, I am stuck on the Shadow Pass.

I am using Maya 8.5 and I can see the Render Layers works differently than version 6 Kari is using.

No matter what I do, the helicopter's Alpha shows up with the shadow alpha on the ground plane. I can manage to turn them both off, but I can't seem to isolate just the Shadow pass on the ground plane, the helicopter's alpha always shows up as well. When I manage to turn off the Helicopters Alpha, the Ground Shadow won't show up either.

I think there must be a simple thing that I am missing that is a feature of Maya 8.5. I am new to Render Layers, but it seems like I should be able to get it to render just the shadows.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also if Kari Brown happens to read this, fantastic work man! Thanks for taking the time to show all the details.

Congratulations on being a TD for Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix....that is awesome. Did you meet JKR???

Last edited by Mn8; 06-08-2007 at 07:29 AM.
# 2 06-08-2007 , 11:02 PM
Anyone, any ideas? I have tried several more hours still with no luck on getting just the ground shadow to render.

thanks in advance