Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-09-2003 , 08:34 AM
Subscriber

The Return of the King

So I watched the Two Towers over the weekend - I loved every minute of it! The bit I was most looking forward to was the preview of the next file Return of the King. WOW! All I could see on screen was Maya being used - with some plugins of coarse...user added image

It made me so envious (in a nice way) of those people that have worked on such a project. Even if I only ever worked on one such thing I think I would be delirious for years...

Are well, stop daydreaming and back to me own projects now. Would be nice to get one of the people who worked on it to visit the Simply Maya site for a chat. What say you Kev and the moderators would there be any chance of that?

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 2 01-09-2003 , 02:35 PM
Vampus
...and what do think they will be able to tell us?

So, how many poly's did you use?
-classified
how about that massive program, how many lines of coding to it take?
-classified
how about the language? C++?
-classified, classified
what about the mocap procedure. Was the transitional work and allignment challenging?
-classified
did you have fun on the project?
-classified

# 3 01-09-2003 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber
I just hate the scenes with frodo and sam together. they're way too gay in two towers!

don't get me wrong though, I got no problems with gay people.

<a href="https://www.d2lodshop.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">D2lodshop</a>
<a href="https://www.gatcity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">GAT City</a>
<a href="https://www.rhymbox.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">XMPP instant messaging</a>
# 4 01-09-2003 , 02:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
lol

# 5 01-09-2003 , 03:11 PM
Vampus
d24e, ya just a closet homophobe.

ok, lets put this in perspective. End of the world is coming, world in relying on you to stop end of the world, one of your best friends and mentor has died, another companion has died, 2 of you other friends have been kidnap, you've had to leave all your new friends behind, you have had to leave your home which you have never done before, you have to go adventuring and killing and nearly died MULTIPLE TIMES, you have being slowly taken over by the spirit of the worse evil in the world who has taken over everyone before it, and you have to walk across the whole country on FOOT...and you STILL have a LONG way to go.

Now, I don't know about you, but if I were frodo, I'd be doing the same thing. Sam is the ONLY thing keeping you going. You would have been dead or taken over a LONG time ago without him. he is your BEST FRIEND, your ONLY friend you have at the moment. he is your driving force, your company, and he is 110% loyal to you, without question.

Given all that, I'd embrace him too.

Everyone these days are so negative. A simply hug between friends and you're gay, a guy wearing pink or purple and they are gay, and mention the word gay and you only think of homosexual. I can remember a time where gay meant happy and joyful and a hug was a way of saying hello and I love you(as a friend).

Sorry if I said obsessive, but I'm sick of this whole homophobic syndrome everyone has these days.user added image

Have a nice day user added image

# 6 01-09-2003 , 03:12 PM
Vampus
BTW Mike. That sounds like some of the conversations I've had you with :p

Originally posted by Vampus

-classified
-classified
-classified, classified
what about the mocap procedure. Was the transitional work and allignment challenging?
-classified
-classified

# 7 01-09-2003 , 03:20 PM
All I could see on screen was Maya being used - with some plugins of coarse[sic]...

But...if you could *see* it, doesn't that mean they failed? I would much rather watch a movie with tons of effects and never know where the real stuff ended and the CGI began, than to be able to see one bit and say "wow, that was a nice bit of CG in that spot there." Or...maybe I'm too particular user added image It's been pointed out before that I am.

# 8 01-09-2003 , 03:23 PM
Vampus
Sometimes you don't have to see the 3d to know it's there.

"I don't have to see the air to know it's there."

Do you really thing they hired 10500 extras for the helms deep battle scene? :p

# 9 01-09-2003 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber

-classified
-classified
-classified, classified
-classified
-classified

Well I see what you mean Vamp! But seeing as I read about the making of it in 3D world mag were they talked about some bit in a certain amount of detail, I don't think it would be as classified as you think!

I agree with you about the homophobic thing though - it does all seem to be out of hand, I'd blame the media... or the moderators LOL user added image

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 10 01-09-2003 , 03:46 PM
Vampus
Yes, but those thing are falsely labelled as interviews. the 3D company tells the answers and ASKS the questions, and that isn't exclusive to 3D. The MINIMUN they will do is get the "interviewer" to send the 3D company a list of questions and they will let them know what they will or will not answer and what details they will give.

# 11 01-09-2003 , 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Vampus
Do you really thing they hired 10500 extras for the helms deep battle scene? :p

No, but it looked like they might have. The point was that it was stated that the person "could see on screen was Maya being used." Whether I know they used CG or not is irrelevant to whether I can pinpoint exactly where it was used.

I knew the skeletons in Pirates were CG also, but the smooth transition between them and the actors' live shots were such that it wasn't noticeable.

# 12 01-09-2003 , 03:47 PM
Vampus
Gazza, blame em both...but don't forget the politicians user added image

# 13 01-09-2003 , 04:22 PM
Subscriber
I think Ben Hur, Spartacus and Cleopatra are better for their use of real people and real scenery than Gladiator is for it's CG.

I won't tell someone else you need less caffeine if you have a concern about homophobia, as I take other peoples concerns seriously. Funny old world isn't it.

# 14 01-09-2003 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
okay, let me put it this way:
the parts with frodo and sam were just totally boring!
bad acting all the way. good thing they put gollem in there.

edit: btw vampus, just cuz I said they're gay doesn't mean I dislike gay people (wich is why I added the 2nd line there)
it's like saying someone is a racist when they're mad at a black guy for doing something stupid, not for being black.

<a href="https://www.d2lodshop.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">D2lodshop</a>
<a href="https://www.gatcity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">GAT City</a>
<a href="https://www.rhymbox.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">XMPP instant messaging</a>

Last edited by d24e; 01-09-2003 at 04:54 PM.
# 15 01-09-2003 , 05:38 PM
SM Tea Boy
Dam i hated the LOTR movies just goes to show you can't please everyone, but then again I always thought Tolkien was a hack he was a linguist not a story teller; I mean dam the man wrote more than 30 books, and a half dozen others that no sane publisher would have touched.

One half decent novel out of that lot makes him a hack imho and having read around about 12 of his books i guess im entitled to it.

Look at the dates on his books when they were all published after he died in 1973.

1976. Father Christmas Letters, The
1977. Silmarillion, The
1980. Poems and Other Stories
1980. Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth
1982. Mr. Bliss
1983. Book of Lost Tales 1, The
1984. Book of Lost Tales 2, The
1985. Lays of Beleriand, The
1986. Shaping of Middle-Earth, The
1987. Lost Road and Other Writings, The
1988. Annotated Hobbit, The
1988. Return of the Shadow, The
1989. Treason of Isengard, The
1990. War of the Ring, The
1992. Sauron Defeated
1993. Morgoth's Ring
1994. War of the Jewels, The
1996. Peoples of Middle-Earth, The
1998. Roverandom

There is a reason none of that lot was published until after he was dead, its because its complete garbage even with help from his son finishing of half his books there still bloody dreadful.

Id rather read Jackie Collins that another one of Tolkien's pices of crap, and if i get dragged along to see the third film as i did with the last one im taking my bloody laptop.

Frodo and sam reminded me of nothing other than a couple of little stoners if they lived near me id have killed um, and that king o men bugger off id rather die than be saved by that ******!

Dull film based on a mediocre novel IMHO.

This RANT brought to you by
David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"