Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-01-2004 , 07:19 AM
Subscriber

Effect Keying

user added image Argh!

Is it at all possible to have an affect take place at a certain key in an animation? I have been trying to have the missile for my plan begin to flame at a certain point but it applies the affect the entire animation. Any help plz? Same goes with all affects, im having a mech robot/f14 showdown, and i need all the effects i can get lol.

Question:
How do you set the effect to occur at a certain key.

# 2 01-01-2004 , 10:43 AM
Subscriber
you would key the value that makes the effect go and stop. It sounds like you might be dealing with particles, so you would need to properly key a certain value. Possibly the emit rate on the emitter?

*looks around for ragecgi* This one is for you dude.

# 3 01-01-2004 , 06:31 PM

Re: Effect Keying

Originally posted by Immortal1490
Question:
How do you set the effect to occur at a certain key. [/B]

Well, I think you just answered your question there a bituser added image

For every individual object, on the right of the Maya GUI is the "Channelbox"

Darkware was right in that, in order to ONLY effect just ONE attribute of ONE object you would:

For example, say you want particles to only start at frame 30, instead of the default frame 1 in your case:

1. Select the object you want to animate. (emitter)

2. Go to the frame JUST BEFORE when you want your particles to start emitting, (frame 29) and in the channelbox, change the RATE value to "0", then RIGHT-CLICK on the text that says "RATE", and move your mouse to choose "KEY SELECTED".

3. Then move ahead ONE frame (to frame 30) and change the RATE value to whatever you like, and do the KEY SELECTED process again.

There you go.

That is just ONE way to make your emitters start emitting when you wantuser added image

Is that what you meant?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 01-01-2004 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
oh god thats sweet, thx!

# 5 02-01-2004 , 01:59 AM
No problem!

Thats what we are all here foruser added image

PS, thanks Darkware!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 04-01-2004 , 10:27 AM
You also could use the 'in-time', to make it start on a certain frame, and make the effects stop by putting an 0 in the next frame. ** just thinks of something ** You also just could set the 'out' time as well :p user added image