Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-04-2004 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber

CPS_tut

Im having a problem with the cps function....

In part 3 of the CPStut I have to attach the ear to the head..
..I've done that and than we have to convert the polymodel to cps again in the minus X...
..if I do that...then Maya starts jappin' about that my model contains Zero Vertex Tweaks etc.

What did or do I wrong ??
How can I get my normal modelhead back??

pic below shows what happens when I hit Zero Vertex Tweaks...

Attached Images

# 2 27-04-2004 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
Ok I fixed the problem...I think... I changed the mirror plane to best guess instead of origin....tell me if this is the right way...
I still have one question tought...

Carsten Lind tells in his cps_tut that when attaching the ear to the head..that the poly components need to be faced outwards... he showed it by going to

<polygons/poly components/normals...>

Why is this?
what's the use for it ?
is it wrong to have them faced inwards ?
what's the idea behind it ?

hehe that's something I was qurious about...
Thanks for helping! ltrr

btw...I love the way to model with cps..!! great tut!

# 3 28-04-2004 , 10:15 AM
Subscriber

I don't understand it....

hmm, it's silent here....
I having a problem right now...

I'm at the part (4) that I have to extrude the face to make a neck...
.. so I've done that and than you have to delete the inside face and snap the vertices to the middle...
I have done that but as you will see... it's not going the way it is going on the vid_tut... howcome ??

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 29-04-2004 , 08:06 AM
Subscriber

<polygons/poly components/normals...>

Why is this?
what's the use for it ?
is it wrong to have them faced inwards ?
what's the idea behind it ?

picture yourself a piece of glass.. if you look through from one side you can see through. now if you look through from the other side you see yourself.

polygon surfaces can be one sided (like the glass analogi(sp?) above) or double sided.

If you had the transparent side facing out (normals facing inwards) you couldnt see your object (or atleast it would look wierd at render time)

When you attach a surface to another you have to make sure that both surfaces face the same way (normals facing outwards). Besides that you also have to make sure that your edges flow the same way or they wont attach. (think of edges as a zipper. you cant reverse one edge of the zipper and zip it closed user added image )

About your last question...

check if you have a face on the axis from your extrusion and delete it. (should be along your ZY axis, vertically through the extruded neck)

I hope your enjoying the tuts and learn lots user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 W.I.P
# 5 01-05-2004 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber

good example! :D

The glass part I totally understand! user added image thankz for the good example!
I tried to understand the last part but I can't make something out of it....

I really tried to figure it out but I still have nothing adchieved...
I have add another attach. so maybe you have an idea >>?

I really want to show the people what I did with cps because it's a hell of a tut!! and I like it a lot! GREAT JOB!
thankz for looking!

Attached Images

# 6 01-05-2004 , 10:02 PM
Subscriber
from your last picture it seems that the center vertices is moved slightly away from the center.

user added image

I have circled the vertices that might create the problems your having..

Assuming your model is facing along the Z axis (i drew the axis in the picture too so you know what im talking about) move the circled vertices with grid snap (hold down X while moving) along the X axis so it snaps to your center line and the problem should be gone user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
# 7 01-05-2004 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
jep I tried that but, it snaps to the center line..... with the X-key down... could I send my file to you so you can take a look to it ? if you have time ofcourse...user added image

Last edited by ransick; 01-05-2004 at 10:12 PM.
# 8 01-05-2004 , 10:16 PM
Subscriber

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk