Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 22-06-2006 , 09:37 AM

creating geometry out of locators?

is there a possibility to create a geometry like a topology out of bout 2000 locators imported from a tracking program?

if yes, I´d be happy!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 2 22-06-2006 , 09:49 AM
Subscriber
Hey there.

You could do it, but you may have to write a little script to help you. I've used a similar process (I didn't write the script though, I'm not too hot with Mel). I guess what the script would do is look at all of the locators, and triangulate them all to create the surface, but I'm not 100% sure. Another method that I've used to create a terrain out of Boujou locators is I just created a poly plane that was subdivided a few times, and started snapping points to the locators. I then kept going over the plane subdividing it and snapping points, and finished up using the sculpt poly tool to finish off. I managed to create a really nice, accurate terrain doing this, that tracked perfectly. I don't think that there is a really quick method, it depends on how accurate you need it to be.

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 3 22-06-2006 , 09:58 AM
well I need it quite precise. got allmost 4000 locators for one shot here. I agree with your method, but its quite a bit of work. concerning the scripting - the locators have chaotic numbers. they´re picked randomly without any system. (besides that I don´t kow mel that good to write a script) guess I have to connect them by hand... argh!!

thx tho for your help!

# 4 22-06-2006 , 12:54 PM
if anybody of you mel guys and gals are bored and like to help me out you could give me some input how to tackle this problem.

polyCreateFacet -ch on -tx 1 -s 1 -p locator1 -p locator2 -p locator3 ;

this is the basic createPolygon operation. does following thoughts make sense -> ?

to collect all locators position and store it in an array.
select first locator and search for 2 nearest locators.
use 3 locators to create a polygon with above operation.
delete those 3 locators from the array.

hm..

# 5 27-06-2006 , 12:54 PM
yes that's pretty much how I would do it (however you can delete the locators as they will be used to create more triangles). You can then fix all the normals. Have a look for a MEL triangulation script there must be something out there already.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 27-06-2006 , 04:26 PM
thx, but I gave it up. mel is still a level to high for me I am recognizing. if there would be more spare time, well. I ended with building it by hand. took me bout 6-7 hours with a horrible geometry. but there´s this wonderful script fitVerts, formerly xyshrinkWrap.

nevertheless thank you!