Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-09-2007 , 05:38 PM

animation jumps

I made a simple ufo that i want to animate "flying"

when i make a keyframe on frame 1 and then move to a different frame, translate the ufo, and make a new key the ufo stays in the same place until the next keyed frame and then suddenly jumps to that place.

i want it to move smoothly through all the frames in between.
like tweening in Flash.
Thanks

# 2 17-09-2007 , 06:47 PM
select your UFO

go to window > animation editors > graph editor

hit F on your keyboard to frame all your keys in the graph editor, then select all your keys and make them flat tangents or spline tangents

# 3 18-09-2007 , 01:00 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I think you have the wrong key tangents (probably stepped.
Go to prefferences and change this to clamped, linear or spline and i think your problem is solved.
Another problem could be that your animation is to quick.
If you have your playbackspeed set at realtime(24fps) you have to keep in mind that when you set your final key at frame 24 only a second has passed.
So if you've translated to far it will move quicker than you're eyes can see(which will probably have the same optical effect as stepped tangents).
To solve this you just have to set the playbackrange to about 200 then shiftselect the key you made in the timeline and move it forward(you can also do this in the grapheditor make sure that when you move you hold shift so that you translate the final key in a straight line so that only the time will be altered.

good luck

# 4 18-09-2007 , 03:05 AM
i started working in the graph editor and it smoothed it out. im still kinda confused about how it works.

my In Tangent was clamped and my Out Tangent was stepped. I changed the out tangent.

Thanks for the help