Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 76 03-09-2003 , 06:47 PM
Subscriber
Im also interested

how the hell do you do those tyres?

# 77 03-09-2003 , 06:57 PM
Hey guys... Hows it going? thanks for all of the responses user added image Yeah, to be honest... I have kind of switched over to MR. I still think GI_Joe is great, but when I work with a model like this truck, with all of the geometry it takes forever and a day to render with GI_Joe. Also, When working with heavy meshes, Maya seems to lock up allot more when trying to render, because it doesn't handle the memory as well as MR. But, if you have a small to medium size mesh like my jeep, then I truly think that GI_Joe is better. I think that MR doesn't depend on how much geometry you have, just how large the scene is, and how much you tweak with your settings. GI_Joe Really depends on how many faces you have... You can't render Sub d's very well (if they are not quads then they are not rendered). So if my model is Sub D's I usually convert what I know is not quads back into polys. Anyways, the only photo that I was able to take this morning was of the wheel. So this afternoon after every once clears out of work, I am going to take the rest of the photos. Hopefully the rest of the model will turn out nice. Thanks allot for your support, definitely one of my main sources of motivation and inspiration.
Brian

BTW Kev said that I could make a video tutorial on the tires... Now I just need to figure out what kind of software i need to make it, and I will start when this truck project is complete.. I think I will start with Modeling...and go thru the textureing/rendering/post aspect of it.

Please check
My (old) website!

Last edited by brian_ellebracht; 03-09-2003 at 07:00 PM.
# 78 03-09-2003 , 07:01 PM
That´s EXCELLENT news.
Looking forward to it. user added image

# 79 03-09-2003 , 07:03 PM
btw i bought some dark construction paper to tape up behind the windows, so that I could take a pic of them, and then i could go back and take out the red construction paper, that way its transparant?? sound like it could work??? anybody know How I can select all of the red? thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 80 03-09-2003 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber
Brian - to adjust or take red out in photoshop you can use image>adjust>curves and choose the red channel or to select red you can use select>color range - there you can play with selected color and the Fuzziness setting to select different ranges. Playing with Saturation, Hue and Contrast can help you increase or decrease the red regions. Hope that's helpfull.

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 81 03-09-2003 , 08:35 PM
I am glad I asked, that helps out alot I appreciate it. I hope that I can take out the red, or atleast that my idea will work. Anyways, I will take the pics in about 1 hr, and try to start back up on it later tonight as long as my computer behaves. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 82 03-09-2003 , 08:47 PM
I just tried it out on the pic of my truck that I have, and it works great!! I tried to delete all of the light and dark blue ect... and it worked great, i was able to select it and replace it with one solid blue, a way to get rid of the reflections. Thanks alot for the tiP! You have saved me alot of time user added image Can't wait to try it out now,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 83 03-09-2003 , 09:29 PM
this was just a test.. now it looks kinda wierd, but Its almost exactly what I wanted... you can see the difference between the original and the new one... Once I ad the Reflection map, and render the truck, it should look like it was before, but at least it will be real reflections and shadows instead of fake ones... THanks,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 84 04-09-2003 , 02:48 PM
Nice work. I love the research you have to do. I like the buckle you got the the tires. Latice? I am hoping to be able to do the same to give the tires an air down look. Look forward to seeing updates.

# 85 04-09-2003 , 07:08 PM
Careful Brian, you might land some commercial work with images like this. user added image

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 86 04-09-2003 , 08:09 PM
Have you though about modeling the mud? The mud on you truck is very thick and sometime bump maps do not do it justice. If you do a combo of modeled mub for the chuncks and textures for the smaller bits it might have a very sweet effect.

# 87 04-09-2003 , 08:19 PM
RickStefani,

I haven't gotten that far yet, but that is exactly what I plan to do user added image I took a couple of close ups of the mud on the ground so that it would match what was on my truck, after I model the clumps of mud, I will appy that texture to it. I think it will work out well on the really thick parts. Thanks for your suggestion,
Brian

Sorry no updates.... Waiting till after work to take more pics for more texture stuff... Having problems taking good photos. I have tried 3 times nowuser added image user added image

Please check
My (old) website!
# 88 04-09-2003 , 09:50 PM
Dude, it rocks what you have so far, and your ideas should definitly workuser added image

Keep it up m8!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 89 05-09-2003 , 01:50 AM
For mud like that you don't want to use bump maps. Use a displacement map instead.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 90 05-09-2003 , 03:36 AM
a displacement map would be great, but doesn't it take quite a while to render? Does anybody know where I can get a tutorial about displacment maps? I am very foggy on displacement maps, but I think you are right, the only way to really get it to look correct would be a displacement map. THanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!