Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-02-2011 , 11:08 AM
Subscriber

A-Z of CG Cliches

Hello all
Ive been occasionally lurking about. Just thought id share this with y'all...

https://www.3dworldmag.com/2011/02/10...ches-part-1/1/

I haven't been doing 3D for a while but this seems true. I was guilty of the first one when i started out but fortunately have no evidence of it in all its distorted, disproportioned glory...

edit: Ohh i actually thought of something to add! I notice this most with the 3rd year animation students at uni, it seems to be all about technical skills as opposed to artistic ideas. That isn't to say people aren't making amazing 3D art, but there's a much higher amount of people who are very focused with the technical way of doing things. But i guess its all to do with learning, cant paint a masterpiece till you learn how to...use a brush...

Peace

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge

Last edited by Some Guy; 13-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
# 2 13-02-2011 , 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
I was wondering about where you went lol.

Some on that list seem true, while others seem like elitist crap to me. Trying to make people feel low for making fan art is sad (that's the reason a lot of people even bothered to get involved with CG). It's a list with X's, Y's Z's opinion, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

- Genny
# 3 13-02-2011 , 06:22 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
pointing out cliches in CG is becoming cliche too i think...

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 4 14-02-2011 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
I snoop around occasionally. I dont really have that much to add cause I'm a bit out of touch with the 3d scene

Agreed about the fan art. It especially shines when people put a new interpretation on a character rather than an outright copy. For example i saw some shots from the new Tin Tin movie, looks like it'll be an amazing transition from 2D to 3D!

Everybody loves to find cliches with things, cant even describe how many times ill take a photo for uni only to be told that its been done onethousandbillioncatrillionblablabla times before by some know it all hipster who thinks they break all the trends. Id say the cliches are good things to learn with but eventually people have to get past them when they are confident enough to be more experimental.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 5 14-02-2011 , 12:26 AM
EduSciVis-er
Haha, you know what else is cliché? Using terrible stock models in clever articles.

# 6 14-02-2011 , 12:10 PM
The Nurb Herd
# 7 14-02-2011 , 05:48 PM
EduSciVis-er
They missed a big one... credits dancing... ahhh. But I suppose that's more film related than demo reel stuff. I think the point they're trying to make here is that some things are obviously errors, and others are just things that get done a whole lot, so if you do it also, don't expect to get a job based solely on that unless it's mind-blowingly amazing.

# 8 15-02-2011 , 07:35 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
My opinion is it depends how well the motion works are implemented pointing out clichés is just plain silly

# 9 28-02-2011 , 08:17 PM
I love doing fan art...

I recently saw a Frieza and Cell from the anime DragonBall Z on raph.com that was incredibly well done. I remember watching that anime 10+ years ago and loving it. I dont see the problem is doing a model of something you loved.

Does it count as fan art when i do all the car models i love?

# 10 01-03-2011 , 08:04 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahah TD...art is art..some is good some is bad..but either way..its still some ones interpretation of something. Take Feists riftwar series...my mate and I have both read all the books and although Feist gives pretty good character descriptions we have opposing views on our 'likeness' of these characters. If his character is like the book and mine not...does it mean mine sucks....

I agree with Genny...fan art is just that...by the fans...read my above...I dont see anything wrong with it? Im not a guru on CG..some of them are actually funny because you can see some one whacking in a big bare chested Amazon warrior to disengage the viewer from sopmething bad...LOL.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes