Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-08-2005 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber

Going from Lightwave to Maya tools

Good day All...i'm new here and to Maya. I've been using Lightwave for almost 9 years and now it's time to learn Maya.

Too many clients and studios i work with are now either adding Maya to their pipline or just switching to it all together.

The problem is switching from a straigh foward software like Lightwave to a icon crazy software like maya..hehehe. one is not better then other..just SO different.

I've seen a tool a few months ago made to help people go from either XSI to LW or LW to XSI...it basicaly explained each tool of LW and what's it's counterpart was in XSI....EXTREMELY good tool.

SO..if anyone as seen or heard about such a tool for LW users...it would greathly appriciated.

PS...alias a small one..but it touches only 2% of the one i mentionned ealier..user added image

# 2 23-08-2005 , 05:45 AM
Haven't heard of any tools that help convert you from lightwave but if your good at lightwave you won't have a huge problem with maya just download some movie tut's from here or 3d buzz or digital tutors they have lot's of free information also you may want to check out highend 3d and 3d-palace.

Your probably familiar with most of these site's if there is a tool you want that isn't explained or your not sure which one it is this is the right place to start posting!

Adam

# 3 23-08-2005 , 05:58 AM
Subscriber

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 23-08-2005 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
THanks for the replies guys...

@haynesy, i would love to buy the DVDs here but there is no option to ship to Canada..send a email with no answer yet to administrator.

@mhcannon, this is basicaly what i would like to have, but for everytool..user added image

# 5 23-08-2005 , 09:42 PM
Your best bet would be to buy a basics book for maya eg maya fundamentals if you've used a 3d app before especially lightwave you already understand the concepts. There fore you shouldn't have any problem going through the tut's in the book and quickly getting a grasp of how things are set out.

You really only need to understand the UI.
Then just search a couple of the sites i gave you for more specific questions. I find digital tutors to have plenty of free video's on all the basic tools as well as some advanced. I really recommend going there and checking the vids as well as 3d buzz before you buy any dvd's or books they will save you time and money.

# 6 23-08-2005 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
i've vheck the DVD for sale here...love the demo i downlaoded..i wanted to buy them....but it does'nt have an option to ship to Canada....i email for info..but never got a reply...

ANyone knows who i should contact?