Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 25-02-2006 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber

maya and laptops

I just brought a laptop with all the bells and whistles it has a Ge Force Go 7300 nvidia in it, dual processor, dual burner, blah blah.How do you reckon it would handle Maya. It has a wireless web service thingo on (in) it but can only be used in 'hotspots' where there is a signel it can pick up. Of corse it has modem and ethernet, dail up and everyother way to get onto the net (there are no other ways but that was for effect) I was thinking of putting a PLE on it, i use 6.5 on the PC and I have PLEs for 6.5 and 7. Any ideas, do is it have to be connected via WWW for Maya to run?? I have never tried to run Maya without a connection just because my computer is always connected by default.
Any suggestions on this.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 26-02-2006 , 03:36 AM
it would handle it better than my computer does!!!!!!!!!! lol, it would handle it good

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 26-02-2006 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber
thank you for the anbswer, appreciated. One more think, do I need to be conected to the net for a PLE, or any version of maya??

know any good tips for a laptop??

# 4 26-02-2006 , 11:31 AM
Should work fine without a internet connection as long as it has a browser.

What laptop is it as i'm considering getting a powerfull laptop?

Cheers

# 5 26-02-2006 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
Toshiba PRO A/300

its got this wild fingerprint security, good toy. I'm still working it all out.

did you mean wireless browser or what. You mean the thing has to be plugged into the net one way or another or do you mean the 'explorer' browser?? (not the net, but 'my computer, ect)
I've only understood browser to mean 'internet'.

it has an upgraded graphics card, it is not standard as such, I asked for one with a good graphics card 'cause I study 'film' at uni and am supposed to do reviews this year for a web site that specializes in Asian movies. 'heroic.com' The roving reporter. have laptop will travel.user added image

# 6 27-02-2006 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
OK, got it all set up; the laptop seems faster, rendering that is, image is a bit blurred animating a 'space ship' on a motion trail (perspective window) but it looks great to me.

compare

The PC has
XP home
pentium 4 2.4 gig
2 gig ram
power colour ATI radeon 9600XT
300 gig of space
pinnicle capture card
terratec EWS 24/96 sound card
blah blah.., two monitors.

the lap top
XP professional
liquid crystal LCD
sound blaster pro
60 gig hard drive
fire wire
dual burner
ect
every bell and whistle you can think of, even a finger print ID
128mb of video ram
nviia geforce go 7300 or 7600
intell duo processor T2300
don't know how much ram it has for the processor, don't know much about it at all really, but there seems to be level 1and level 2 memory cache

anyway, it (the laptop from here on) IPR renders qicker than you can say ' hey look at this!', seems faster than the PC,
and a hardware render seems instant on a simple poly model with an imported texture. I gotta say, it works very well but as I said, there is some blur during animation in the perspective window. Its amazing considering the size of the thing, a dream to carry around. I can get out the house now, before I was here doing Maya , reason or cubase constantly. Adtually I think I've damaged my eyes.

short story; looks great and works great. if you got the dough, do it. I think a changing enviroment (like sitting in a park maybe??) might bring new ideas for models, ect???

# 7 27-02-2006 , 09:45 AM
A borwser is what you need to "look" at the internet. You pretty much need the browser to view the help files. I was thinking of one of those dual AMD 64 laptops with 2 gig of ram, cost a fortune but should last a good while!!

# 8 27-02-2006 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
if you can afford get it (I couldn't afford it but did it anyway, rather that than get drunk, ect) . I'm really impressed with mine and I think it only has 3/4 or 1 1/4 ram, can't find the specs without a bit of fuss around this mess of wires I live in. Good luck with it, if you get it I don't think you will be sorry. Oh yea, I figured it about the browser, the laptop configures itself via wireless (and every other means of connecting to the net). It's great but I have to be in 'hotspots.' I gotta bunch of books and stuff I've printed out and also made PERSONAL (it's true) DVD tuts from the downloads from mags and the net. Soooo, have maya will travel, though as you mentioned I should view the help files more instead of paying money I can't afford on mags, I'll have to now, no choice really.

yea, lasting without being dated was something I had in mind too. Inreresting how, as we get more processing power the size of the programs and the CPU drain increases, you know what I mean? The day will come when animation program will need a terrabyte of ram to do what they're doing now. I just down loaded 'video mach' what is it, 3 meg. can you believe that, and it has so much good stuff on it and why do I get the feeling it will be more stable than 'after effects??'

# 9 01-03-2006 , 01:51 AM
Subscriber
update; the laptop slows down pretty quick compared to the PC. Have to careful to delete static channels and history. All that processing stuff becomes very important on the laptop. The PC couldn't care less about it. It (laptop) still renders very quickly but slows down in the perspective windowduring animation on a motion trail. Might be better to put the camera on the motioin trail and track and pan??

# 10 01-03-2006 , 08:35 AM
Subscriber
--- GSTER123 ---

If you are thinking about a laptop I would suggest reading the reviews in 3D World Magazine (issue 75 / March 2006). They compare Sony, AJP, Samsung, Boxx and (the winner) rockdirect Xtreme Ti 3.8GHz. I have looked at the www.rockdirect.co.uk and noticed the specification of the laptop has changed - I guess they change the specification often.

However, BEFORE making any decision please check out the graphics card compatibility with on the Maya web site. I didn’t know about this when I bought my Sony Vaio – then found out the Radion card did not support hardware rendering. BE WARNED…..

Keith

# 11 01-03-2006 , 10:28 AM
Subscriber
yea, I paid an extra $1000-$800, something like that because of the graphics card. It seems laptops are made with different uses in mind.., graphics, office, etc. Mine is behaving itself nicely, no complaints, but haven't put it to the test as some of you more experienced lads might do.

# 12 01-03-2006 , 10:15 PM

Originally posted by keef
--- GSTER123 ---

If you are thinking about a laptop I would suggest reading the reviews in 3D World Magazine (issue 75 / March 2006). They compare Sony, AJP, Samsung, Boxx and (the winner) rockdirect Xtreme Ti 3.8GHz. I have looked at the www.rockdirect.co.uk and noticed the specification of the laptop has changed - I guess they change the specification often.

However, BEFORE making any decision please check out the graphics card compatibility with on the Maya web site. I didn’t know about this when I bought my Sony Vaio – then found out the Radion card did not support hardware rendering. BE WARNED…..

Keith

Cheers man, I was/am considering the AJP Dual core 64 with the NVidia Quatro card in it as I know this is supported by maya ( I don't play games on so I wont need a gaming card).

Looking into it the BOXX is the same as the AJP and the Alienware and the Mesh (all the AMD Dual core jobbies) and I mean the same other than a bit or branding/logoing and added software oh and the price!!

Have to get my but down to the newsagent to get that copy tomorrow, could prove a worthy buy and save me a lot of internet trawling and head scratching.