Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 23-10-2003 , 07:30 PM

wake help

I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to simulate a wake behind a boat much like that a wakeboard boat would create. Ive managed to figure out how to make the boat move realistically and even attach a wake emitter to it and it works fine, I just want to perfect it. Also, does anyone know how to make aw wave that breaks and curls (for surfing)? Any tips wold be helpful, thanks.

Fall down seven times, get up eight...
# 2 23-10-2003 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber
fluid effects and turbulance dynamics is what you want.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 3 23-10-2003 , 11:08 PM
what if he doesn't have fluid effects?

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 4 24-10-2003 , 01:15 AM
Soft body nurbs plane and particles.

# 5 26-10-2003 , 10:36 PM
I have Maya unlimited with fluid dynamics and I can make the wake work but I was just wondering about techniques to make the effect look more realistic and accurate. It works good but it just doesnt look as 'perfect' as id like. Im trying to simulate a boat pulling a person on a wakeboard. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. thanks

Fall down seven times, get up eight...
# 6 27-10-2003 , 04:24 PM
Fluids is, (well actually the ocean shader and texture), kind of interesting to work with, and KBrown and his Andria Gail thread knows the most here at SM about the trials of getting this type of shot to work belivably.

From my short research, I've had luck using the WAKE in combination with the Ocean shaders' y-axis foam emission ability.

So basicly, as the wake height gets above a certain y axis, the foam feature in the Ocean Shader kicks in, and makes it look as if it is being churned, and/or cresting.

Now, in your case, rip-curls and pipelines are a whole different ball of wax altogether.

From what I understand, Maya's ocean shader/texture cannot do this out of the box without some type of scripting to help it along.

You might have better luck getting a fluid container to do this with fields... not sure.

Lemm know if any of this helped yauser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com