Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-03-2014 , 02:10 PM

Soft bound pipes moving away from joint chains

I have a complex mech model that has hanging pipes attached between the head and the body. When I soft bind the pipes to a joint chain and rotate the head group up/down/sideways, etc the pipes bend and flex perfectly, as expected.

My problem occurs when I select the main control (nurbs circle) for the model and translate it slightly. The pipes move away from the joint chains in the direction I move the main control.

They seem to moved away from the joint chains at an exponential rate.

Has anyone come across the bizarre behaviour before?

This is an image of the pipes on the side of the head (between the pistons):
user added image

Thanks

No Mr Bond... I expect you to die!
# 2 14-03-2014 , 12:56 PM
Before:
user added image

After:
user added image

# 3 19-03-2014 , 01:40 PM
It looks like you have a parameter in your soft binding settings that is acting as a force multiplier when the pipes are translated - but, having said that, the pipes shouldn't move if they have been properly constrained. I would suggest regrouping them as part of the head (if they are are not already) and taking a look at your constraints.

# 4 21-03-2014 , 07:22 AM
After a lot of messing I found the answer. The group that contains the pipe and joint chain needs Inherit Transform to the unchecked.

Done a screen shot of it all working here:
https://youtu.be/J2IPYkezPjQ