Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-06-2007 , 11:09 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Batch Rendering

Hey Guys

My turn for a question.

I'm looking to batch render several scenes one after the other while away from the PC, does anyone know of a script or maya command so I can do this?

Many thanks
Jay

# 2 22-06-2007 , 11:35 PM
easy:

create a new text file and put you command lnie in there one after the other on new lnies

save it as a .bat file.

open up a command prompt and nevigate to where the .bat file is
execute it from the command prompt

bob's your proverbial uncle...........

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 23-06-2007 , 12:13 AM
Alan

Thank you for the swift response, you just made my day!! Cheers

You are now my proverbial uncle!! LOL

Jay

# 4 24-06-2007 , 04:56 AM
Alan

Not being of a 'msdos' or 'mel' kind of guy, myself and a colleague at work put our heads together on this today. Basically we came up with a simplest thing we could which was

render 'filenames'.mb in a notepad file then save that as a 'name'.bat with the scene files

To launch it double click it in the saved directory as the scenes so we didnt have to worry about writing the whole route directory with it, we just ended up using this setting so not to overide the stuff in renderglobals.(so you can find the renders easy too in the projects folder.) Works a treat!! and it keeps every thing in a tidy place too.

Cheers
Jay

# 5 24-06-2007 , 05:00 AM
well that's the right way to use it so that's great!

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 24-06-2007 , 05:24 AM
oh cool

we initially had something like: render -n 0 -s1 -e1 -im 'image' -rd c:\\blah\blah.mb

but it was too much arsing with directory names, and it turned out you are only supposed to do it this way if you move your files about or something along those lines. So all is cool, thanks again for putting us on the right track

Jay

# 7 24-06-2007 , 05:51 AM
Yeah you can set it to render to specific places and in different image formats/ sizes/ software etc (if you want to) using the render flags (a list can be found in the cmd prompt, cant remember off the top of my head what the command is, something like render -f, for a full list of what you can do.)

Pretty powerful, as you can utilise all the system resources

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 24-06-2007 , 06:15 AM
Steve

yeah its pretty neat. Its not something Ive done before as Im used to having the renderfarm set up by my tech guy. (life of luxury) But as Im doing Outlaws at home I felt the need to look into it. So far so good.

Cheers
Jay