Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 211 18-06-2003 , 09:49 PM
If you only want to make a render from one angle, the classic method I would use, would be just to delete (or hide) hidden faces. Hide the back corner wheerl, hide the paneling on the face side you dont see, hide the back thats not in shot etc. etc.

# 212 18-06-2003 , 10:23 PM
lol, that was one of the first things that I did. I only have one side of the truck there right now. But Mr only renders what it sees in the render veiw so it would be ok if I had both sides there. But if I was using Maya's native Render,t hen it would make a difference. Thanks for the suggestion though! I think I will try your idea tomorrow Witchy, Right now I am going to go swimming.
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 213 19-06-2003 , 01:58 AM
The Maya Mountain
nice as always, Brian. user added image

Only "crit" I might have is that I cannot, yet, really tell what kind of environment it might be designed for just by looking at it. I know you have Ice/Snow in mind. And I also know the wheels are probably a big part of that. Would be cool if the rest of it might also convey arctic temperatures.

Perhaps some sort of heating device for those inside? I remember your having a big bull-dozer type item on the front. A cow-catcher shaped front piece might work well.

Looking forward to it!

# 214 19-06-2003 , 03:28 AM
Subscriber
holy S**T!!!.. man, this is amazing! I love what you have done to the windows and it reminds me of an incredibly detailed model.. like from the warhammer series.. it may just be your colors.. but wonderful job! How long do you estimate the whole entire render would take, with wheels and all? Cya.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 215 19-06-2003 , 03:42 AM
Yeah Mike, that is something that I totally agree with you on. If I ad some spiffy wheels with Goodyear tires on it, you would have no idea its for ice... So.. To help, I am going to try and ad Blue and white Cam for starters on the body. So... I have a couple of other ideas up my sleave... >user added image THanks for your comments,
|Brioan

Please check
My (old) website!
# 216 19-06-2003 , 03:52 AM
hello... To give you an idea of what I want to try and ad tomorrow.... I was trying to think of ideas, and here is what I came up with....

Nitro Tanks with valves and hoses on the side, leading up to flame throwers on the front of the vehicle....

Heater Coils

Extra Fuel cell on the back of the vehicle... and a few other surprises. user added image

So.... Alot more work to be done... but I think that it will help. Talk to you later!!
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 217 19-06-2003 , 08:53 AM
Brian your problem about subdivs is very common, thats because type of modeling. Let me explain. If you do your model in poly and use smooth its something different then if you use convert poly to subdivs. To model with polys and for final to convert it to subdiv is giving pretty uncertain and unpredictable results. Better is trying to model with subdivs in beginnig stage and convert back to level 0 (subdToPoly -ch off -aut on -format 3 -depth 0 -sampleCount 1 -maxPolys 1 -extractPointPosition 1 -shareUVs 1 -subdNormals 0 |polyToSubd1|polyToSubdShape1;
// Result: subdTessShape1 //
delete |polyToSubd1|polyToSubdShape1user added image and try if it works (you can use kind of different topologies and less faces - looking weird in polysmooth but ok in subdiv) and then convert it back to subdiv again. Of course its only my idea you can have another oppinions..they are welcomeuser added image!

:g) Charles
freemind.cz
# 218 19-06-2003 , 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info Freemind! I might try to mess with it today.

hey, after converting back to Polys.. I am trying to ad textures, but I keep getting this error when I try to ad any kind of projection, like planar mapping. Has anybody gotten this error b4??

// Error: line 1: Cannot find uvset with name to operate on //

Thanks!
Brian

Sorry that was an easy fix, got it to work user added image Just overlooked something

Please check
My (old) website!

Last edited by brian_ellebracht; 19-06-2003 at 01:18 PM.
# 219 19-06-2003 , 01:48 PM
Hey, I decided to mess around with textures for my truck... So, here is my first render test with Blue and white camo. I was wondering if you thought it made it better or not. THankks!
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 220 19-06-2003 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
cool brian! Did ya paint it by hand? I assume so.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 221 19-06-2003 , 06:24 PM
Yeah, its painted by hand.. hey, I got borred/frustrated with the texturing, so I decided to have some fun and i came up with this... Hmmm... don't know about you, but I really like the green, but it doesn't really go with snow, now does it? Is it to late to make this for a different enviorment? user added image Just wondering. Not that big of a deal I would really like your guy's opinion on which color you think is better looking, if you weren't concerned about the enviorment. THanks,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 222 19-06-2003 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber
Well brian I see you're point about the green (Hey i forgot brown in mine!!) BUT i would NOT base my enviroment around how the paint job looks! Thats just me tho, i'm SURE you're free to change it, as long as you could adapt all the features.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 223 19-06-2003 , 06:36 PM
i would rather see this BLUE AND WHITE , fits the rest better !

:g) Charles
freemind.cz
# 224 19-06-2003 , 06:40 PM
Guys, I will keep it blue, just wanted to get your opinion, its very easy to change the color scheme in Maya, just by adding a ramp to the texture, I am going to render one more out green though, with the wheels and stuff. user added image
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 225 19-06-2003 , 10:51 PM
Subscriber
wow, I have not been around to check on anyones progress. This blows me away....Nice work.

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net