Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-06-2003 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber

Character Rigging Tut

I hope someone can help me here. I'm not sure how to explain it, but my Ik Handles are not working right at all. When I go to move them they move but the joints stay behind, move a little, or move in a completely different direction.

I notice alot of my joints had their X and Y locked, so I went through and unlocked them. I also played around with the Local Rotation Axis to make sure they are lined up. I'm not sure what else to do. It seems like once again I've messed with something that is screwing every thing up. Please help! I'm going mad!

One thing I noticed is that bounding boxes are being placed around the joints where the IK starts. I don't see these the tutorial.

Thanks,
Matt

# 2 18-06-2003 , 09:16 PM
I had the same problem and I had to change some of my settings when I created my Ik Constraints. Here is a pic of what mine looks like, Compare the settings to yours by double clicking on the tool. Hope it helps,
Brian

Attached Images

Please check
My (old) website!
# 3 18-06-2003 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
are you sure you snapped the right screen? those are the default settings. user added image

# 4 19-06-2003 , 01:52 AM
The Maya Mountain
I used the defaults with that tutorial.

# 5 19-06-2003 , 07:44 AM
Subscriber
I was using the default settings as well.

Do the Rotation Axis on the joints have an effect on the IK?

I'm at a loss. I've started over many, many times and keep having the same problem.

# 6 19-06-2003 , 01:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
you'll need to Freeze Transformations on your skeleton.

# 7 19-06-2003 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
I did Freeze Transformations. One weird thing was that it wouldn't let me do it until I unlocked all the XY transform nodes. I'm not sure why they were locked in the first place?

I've attached a image of what is happening. As you can see, the IK handle is moving, but not the joints.

Thanks,
Matt

# 8 19-06-2003 , 06:47 PM
Subscriber
Here's the image...

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 19-06-2003 , 07:42 PM
The Maya Mountain
What I meant, was you'd need to freeze the skeleton's transformation before adding IK handles.

# 10 19-06-2003 , 07:45 PM
Maybe I can still help, but I still don't exactly know what the problem is. here is the problem that i was having...

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...&threadid=6134

I think it's my second or 3rd post is where I describe the problem I was having, if it is the same let me know and I will retrace my steps really quick and let you know, i remember it was an easy fix. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 11 27-06-2003 , 08:38 AM

text

I did Freeze Transformations. One weird thing was that it wouldn't let me do it until I unlocked all the XY transform nodes. I'm not sure why they were locked in the first place?

I've attached a image of what is happening. As you can see, the IK handle is moving, but not the joints.

Thanks,
raj

# 12 27-06-2003 , 09:52 AM
Subscriber
I don't see anything attached. But I'm very interested. It sounds like we're having the same problem. I had transforms locked as well, and not sure why.

mo

# 13 27-06-2003 , 12:48 PM
The Maya Mountain
when you bind geometry to a skeleton, it locks the transforms.

# 14 30-06-2003 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber
Do you need to go through and unlock the transforms or should you leave them alone?

thanks,
mo

# 15 30-06-2003 , 06:18 PM
all ya gotta do, if you are using Maya 5 is make sure the Sticky attribute it checked. if you have allready created your ik, just go under the attributes if the IK and make sure it is checked, go ahead and leave snap on as well. This worked for me, if it doesn't for you, then I am stumped, good luck!:bgreen: :bgreen:
Brian

BTW Sorry about my first post I forgot to click on the box b4 I posted the image

Attached Images

Please check
My (old) website!