Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-03-2006 , 09:52 AM
Subscriber

Normal Mapping?

Hi guys, could someone just clear something up for me, my understanding of 'normal mapping' is to create a high res model and low res, layout the uvs, texture the high, then overlay on top of each other then 'bake' the surface detail, which includes the texture to the low. Now, I'm after reading up on this I'm thinking I was way off, and really you just bake the models together then texture then resulting map.

Could someone please advise lol. user added image

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 23-03-2006 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
ill be making a tut shortly on normal mapping with alias maya/xsi

but what you said seems accurate.
in maya, u dont have to UV the high rez mesh, only low rez need to be UV'ed.
export your normal map into photoshop use it as a ref over the low rez UV's then paint over it. also surface sample can copy textures from a high rez, then u can tweak the color map it created in photoshop or bodypaint.

---

as for vertex lighting, what u said
here was also right. its just baking lighting into the object.
but most engines now do realtime lighting.

try to make only one thread when possible.
user added image

# 3 23-03-2006 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber
Will do, thanks Vlad. Just to clarify, I've got my high and low poly models and the low uv layed out. Do I carry out the surface transfer/ normal map now>? Or do I create the texture first?

# 4 23-03-2006 , 02:01 PM
Subscriber
P.s Also Vlad, that thread was regarding vertex colouring not lighting which I believe is slightly different. I just find it easier to take in what is being said if it is in its own thread rather than combinig several q's into one post.

Looking forward to this tut! Any ideas when it will be ready?