Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-03-2009 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber

Cactuar

randomly had the urge to do a tonberry but started with a cactuar first, thinking it would be easy

user added image
wires
he's gonna need more edge loops around where his legs meet his body to deform properly i imagine...

user added image
of the top... trying to keep quads, is there a better way to do it with a round dome?

user added image

the legs aren't so cool.. too many wires, i inserted edges where it's not needed to keep quads...

also... is there a better image search engine other than google? finding pictures of tonberries and cactuars is hard...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 01-03-2009 , 10:06 AM
Subscriber
redone the wires around the round areas
user added image user added image user added image

other than the hair i think i'm done... then comes texturing on that lost face of his

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 3 02-03-2009 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber
Looks good, but I am a little concerned with the geometry at the elbow and knees. I think it needs a little more definition to be able to deform smoothly and avoid pinching.

# 4 02-03-2009 , 02:47 AM
Subscriber
oh yeah, i can see that its going to cause lots of problems already if it stays as it it. especially since the bends are meant to be at 90 degrees...

also have you ever see the way the arms move on a cactuar? :eeek2:

# 5 02-03-2009 , 10:38 AM
Subscriber
i got distracted by an older project..

only had time to do the hair, add a few edge loops and test a default bind. tried a lattice as well as soft skinning and both did the same thing without tweaks.

i was going to ask if anyone knews a good way of painting straight lines in a texture but i think maybe i could use the transfer maps again...

user added image
user added image

# 6 02-03-2009 , 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Thats cute lol. I think you should've modeled the arms and legs the way they are in the ref image, because as I remember, he never actually bends his limbs actively. They just kinda stay bent and flip around don't they?

- Genny
# 7 02-03-2009 , 08:19 PM
Subscriber

# 8 03-03-2009 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber
the whole soft skinning wasn't working very well...
i think i will try the old restrictive blendshaping technique, i figure its ok since cactuar's don't really move much from this position

i moved the verts into position so now all the UVs around the elbos and knees are stretched... hoping no one will notice but i might do it again... although i expect moving the verts around again (for blend shapes) will mess it up

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 04-03-2009 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
blend shapes gives bizzare volume loss because of the linear interpolation... what a shame...
i tried making multiple blend shapes for the same cactuar with its arms in incremental stages of bending down, but put together it was all jittery with volume loss and gain

can i make blend shapes for other blend shapes and tie them all together with a single setdriven key?

well.. now that i moved the verts around to model him into shape soft skinning is working slightly better...

# 10 07-03-2009 , 07:48 AM
Subscriber
a fair bit of progress

he's now fully rigged with soft skinning and set driven keys

all i have to do to get the cactuar movement is adjust a value in one of the curves.

user added image
this is before weights are adjusted. thankfully he's small so painting the weights isn't so hard

i seem to remember Mayaniac (i think) saying something about when rigging you should put your model is the most extreme poses so it can deform to it correctly...
why is it then that we don't model people with their arms and legs bent?

user added image
testing an extreme pose. it probably won't actually get this pose though.. not now since i've locked and limited a lot of the transformation nodes

user added image
i think the normal map needs lots of tweaking...

just using the scenery from the Shinou Gundam project (which i still have to finish...)

user added image
rigged up and ready to move

user added image
blend shapes fail imo.... it was too hard to get it to perfectly interpolate between all of the different shapes, and putting it straight to the final pose caused funky flatning of the arms due to linear interpolation of the vertecies (vertecies just went in a straight line to the final pose...)

2994 polys later the model is done and rigged and the uvs are happy... i'm not on a polygon budget, it just happened to be that small

Last edited by Chirone; 07-03-2009 at 07:54 AM.
# 11 07-03-2009 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber

# 12 08-03-2009 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
hehe that was pretty cool, good work

# 13 08-03-2009 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber
heh, thanks rhetoric!

another render
user added image

and one more...
user added image

# 14 08-03-2009 , 02:17 PM
Subscriber
"Foreign Object Located"
Ha, I like the concept. I especially like the fainting Cactuar

Good Jobuser added image

# 15 08-03-2009 , 03:20 PM
Hehe... nice work.