Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-06-2009 , 04:05 PM
EduSciVis-er

Up 3D

So I went to see Up in 3D (first 3D movie I've seen other than a couple Imax films)... really pleasantly surprised. Immensely entertaining.
I always get the feeling that Pixar never lets the medium (i.e. CG and 3D in this case) get in the way of the story they're trying to tell.

From what I've experienced of other 3D movies (trailers and reviews and watching them in 2D) it seems like they always try to throw in extra "ooh, comin' at ya!" moments, which I find is obnoxious and unnecessary. A lot of movies focus too much on the effects, which in 5-10 years won't look impressive at all.

Anyways, I just wanted to know what other people thought about Up, "3D movies", Pixar, and other computer animated movies in general, since I haven't heard too much about them on these forums.

# 2 30-06-2009 , 07:18 PM
Hi Stwert,

I myself have never been let down by Pixar, the reason as you've said that their films are consistently good is that the basis for every one of them is story telling, the fact that the medium they use is 3d is considered just a great way of telling it.
They just use the added factor that with 3d you can get away with things, and add scenario's that just wouldn't have the same impact as they would if you did it with live action.
Some of the facial expressions just wouldn't come across the same way, or may be missed altogether.

Some may consider me too old at 31 to enjoy such films, but I say that I can appreciate them doubly so!

What other 3d film studios do wrong is to try to "make a movie", with Pixar you can see it's the love of the process of it all, the telling of the story that makes them so great, I recommend buying their dvd's and watching the documentary's, I've watched them countless times and never tire of seeing how much fun they have making them.

Not seen UP yet but will be looking forward to it, and will be buying the dvd the moment it's released!

# 3 30-06-2009 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
I have not seen Up but I do love Pixar. I was wondering though with the 3d, usually in movies it's that red and blue color in the actual movie to, you can see that something is wrong with the film, and then turns 3d with the glasses. Now with this 3d effect I heard they're clear glasses, how is the picture of the actual movie itself without the glasses on? Sorry for the weird question, just curious about what kind of 3d is used for this. I've fooled around with maya's anaglyph settings and was wondering what kind this 3d is and if I should go to the movies to see this to get the glasses.

edit: I hate the way the red and blue glasses make my eyes feel after a couple minutes, I can't take a whole movie with glasses like that.

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 30-06-2009 at 09:29 PM.
# 4 30-06-2009 , 09:33 PM
EduSciVis-er
Having seen the movie and got the glasses and brought them home in order to see if I could see awesome 3D stuff that I made with maya's new stereoscopic tools... and no... the glasses won't work with a computer (if that's what you're asking) unless you have a special projector.

Basically what happens is you have what looks like sunglasses, and they act like polarized sunglasses too. The projector shines the frames of the film through a screen that alternately polarizes the light clockwise and counter-clockwise, three times each for every frame (so left, right, left, right, left, right... next frame) so it looks smooth. The left eyepiece of the glasses will only accept polarized light of a certain orientation and the right likewise. The screen without the glasses looks normal but with the shapes ghosted left and right (if that makes any sense) depending on how close they are supposed to be.

I looked all that up on wikipedia after I got home... user added image

There are some occasional artifacts I noticed (especially near the beginning when my eyes weren't used to it) such as what looked like stuttering/framerate problems with fast horizontal movement. Apparently that's normal and is a slight problem with the technology.

Anyway, hope that's what you were asking about.

# 5 30-06-2009 , 09:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
PS About the maya stereoscopy stuff... not really sure how you'd be able to view it, although from looking a little bit, it seems like you can do the red blue type, which you'd be able to view with your typical red blue cellophane glasses

# 6 30-06-2009 , 10:00 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
RE: maya stereoscopic, for that kind you do need a special monitor but you do not for the red/blue type
we havent got up over here yet and wont untill septemper user added image

# 7 30-06-2009 , 10:44 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help didn't know if it was possible to make my own in that style, I hate the red and blue glasses they hurt my eyes really bad.

Nvidia 3d Vision

# 8 01-07-2009 , 02:17 AM
That movie made me cry.
I said it.
haha, but really, the montage of him and his wife was so sad...
I highly recommend it. Very touching movie.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com