Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-02-2011 , 01:14 PM

pivot point question

Sorry for such a novice question.

I've imported an object into maya who's position is away from maya's center.
The pivot point of the object is at maya's center though and not the object.
What I would like to do is center the pivot to the object and then move the object to any other world position I'd like.

When I select the object and try Modify->Center Pivot it centers the pivot around the object okay but I notice in the channel box that the Translate x,y,z coords still say 0,0,0.
I assume then that these are Object Space coords.

Is there a way to view the object's (or object pivot point) in world coords and then type in new values so I can move it to a specified position?

# 2 01-02-2011 , 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
What you could do is center pivot, snap the obj to the origin and then freeze its transforms (Modify>Freeze Transformations) This will zero out the channel box and give you accurate transform values when you reposition the obj.

- Genny
# 3 02-02-2011 , 04:58 PM
That works. Thanks.