Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-02-2004 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber

Help with polys

I am trying to make a person. My fisrt oneuser added image And i am starting with a square and i will smooth it all later but when i extruded his arms and smothed it to see how it would look it smoothed each face on the arms how can i make it not do this.

Thanks, Chris user added image

Attached Thumbnails

An idea is delicate.
It can be killed by a sneer or yawn,
It can be stabbed to death by a joke
Or worried to death by a frown
On the right persons brow.
-Charles Browers
# 2 05-02-2004 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
not sure what u really mean,,,,
but if u do an exponential smooth, in the option box uncheck keep geometry borders, it might get rid of those spike at the end of your arms there. and also, after u smooth ur mesh, u can adjust the "smoothness" by adjusting the continuity tab in the newly created polySmoothFace1 node.
hope this helps...user added image

# 3 05-02-2004 , 01:28 AM
Subscriber
It looks like the problem your having comes from extruding though’s faces with the Keep Faces Together option termed off. Either that or there was a vertix you didn't pull out with it.

I would try re-Extruding them if you can go back to that point with undo's. If not, it would help clear that up to see the mesh un-smoothed.

before you re-extrude .. check to make sure there is a check mark next to this option.

main menu
Polygons > Tool Options >
and the Keep Faces Together, should have a check beside it.

# 4 05-02-2004 , 01:29 AM
Subscriber
It's hard to tell but make sure under Polygons/tool options that keep new faces together is selected. I think your faces seperated when extruding.

Edit:
Too quick on the draw Pony user added image