Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 31-03-2015 , 08:47 PM

No lights when Mental Ray Render Batch

Hi

So I have this project in Maya 2013, I am trying to render a walkthrough through an interior (there are several lights in different places) with render batch. Problem is when I render a still frame it looks perfect, when I do it with batch render the lights are not activated or something. It is not a camera problem because same thing happens with another camera and with perspective. It has something to do with mental ray because with maya hardware I don´t have the problem. I attach some pictures: A jpg of a single frame with mental ray render which looks exactly as I need the animation to look, a top view of my project so you can see my lighting (if it is of any help) and a some screenshots of my render settings, at least the once I suspect may be causing this problem. Apparently I cant attach the tga, and when I open it in Photoshop it looks just black but the point is it looks like no lights are there.

If it is of any use I am using a macbook pro with 8gb memory.

Thank you all.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 2 31-03-2015 , 08:53 PM

Project Screenshot

Here is the image of my project so you can see the lightning.

user added image

# 3 01-04-2015 , 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
If you can upload the Maya file I'll take a look at it. You can delete everything except the walls and lights, it makes the file smaller and you're not giving away your work.

- Genny
# 4 07-04-2015 , 12:35 AM
Thank you so much for your help Gen, Here is the project https://we.tl/MmywnUpAmp (it didnt let me attach it to the message). Let me know if you need any other information. I am very gratefull.

# 5 09-04-2015 , 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
So far it seems like there's an issue with the shaders. Haven't pinned it down exactly.

- Genny
# 6 09-04-2015 , 09:50 AM
Lifetime Member
If I open the scene directly then I get the same behavior. If I create a new scene and import this scene file then all is fine. Lights render out, shaders looks ok.
What get's reset on the import?

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 7 10-04-2015 , 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah I was wondering about that, tried combing through the render settings to no avail. Best bet is to import it into a new scene.

- Genny
# 8 13-04-2015 , 01:15 PM
Banned

Solution!!!

# 9 14-04-2015 , 03:44 AM
Holly Molly, it worked!!!! Thank you Gen and PixalZa, you guys are awesome!!!!!!

# 10 21-04-2015 , 12:58 PM
Banned

If you can upload the Maya file I'll take a look at it. You can delete everything except the walls and lights, it makes the file smaller and you're not giving away your work.
corporation bank micr code
The new Light Importance Sampling mechanism in mental ray allows to sample the whole set of lights as if it were one single light, placing more samples on the lights that contribute more to the part of the scene being rendered. It is an importance-driven mechanism that is controlled by a simple set of parameters. Both area and point lights are importance-sampled, and there is no fundamental change required in material and light shaders. This mechanism is typically useful in scenes with many lights, but can be beneficial also in other simpler cases. Mobie-cell phone tracker
Light Path Expressions Improvements

Light Path Expressions (LPEs) for iray have been extended to allow light-specific and object-specific paths.

Lights and objects need to be grouped into layers before they can be referenced in LPEs.

We will create a dedicated blogpost to explain this mechanism.

# 11 21-04-2015 , 11:32 PM
Super Moderator
Can we get a cleanup on user Raizo's posts? Pure spam.

- Genny