Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 03-07-2005 , 11:16 AM
Subscriber

War of the Worlds

Saw War of the Worlds last night, and I have to say that the special effects were amazing. I really loved the scene where the machines come up from under the street.
Although I loved the effects, the script and the take on the story left something to be desired - there were too many things that were never explained, and a couple of gaping plot holes, not to mention the goofs (video camera working when all other electrical equipment has been fried by EMP?)

Also, how on earth did they get from where they were to Boston without seeing a single alien? They must have been about 200 miles from Boston, and we didn't see a single thing of that part of the journey.

The acting from Tom Cruise was distinctly average (nowhere near as good as he was in Collateral), and he was acted off the screen by the young girl, Dakota Fanning (Man on Fire)

I'm going to have to read the book now. Hopefully it will explain things better than the film did.

Definately shouldn't have been rated 12A though. Way too violent for that.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 2 03-07-2005 , 03:08 PM
Subscriber
While i agree with you about the Camera..though hadnt noticed untill you pointed it out.. i dont go to movies looking for screwups on the parts of the film crew, and wrighters.. i just go to enjoy them..

I personally Think that A, as well as i remember the book, the movie was as good in some places,.. and better in a few others...One must remember, the book was wrighten over 105 years ago.. 1897 if i remember right.. So keeping with the book, its hard to explain everything in the detail we like now days...
and.. on that note.. Perhaps, One could think, that maybe that being a science fiction film.. they left the rest to our imaginations, as they once did, in the Hay day of SciFi.. Gaves us some to work with, and left the rest to us.. Unstead of handing it all to us on a plater..

I agree the movie was a bit violent for the ratin it has over here, PG13... But, my personal opinion..all in all, is.. The movie rocked...
If you want to bag on a War of the Worlds Movie.. go back to the one in the 50's.. but.. Dont rag it to hard either... It was top of th eline 50 some odd years ago as well user added image

Legend

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 3 03-07-2005 , 03:44 PM
Kevin
yeah i was going to see it tonight but didnt go as dave told me it was complete shite - infact he told me if I went to take my palm pilot and a few games or a decent book

# 4 08-07-2005 , 12:16 PM
Subscriber
I thought the film was extremely good, thoroughly enjoyed it. Tbh I wish they made it longer and included more parts.

If I had the choice I'd listen to the original radio recording because thats by far the best.

- Mato

# 5 08-07-2005 , 12:25 PM
Kevin
I unfortunatly was talked into it by my little girl

I have officially renamed it: Bore of the worlds

# 6 08-07-2005 , 12:49 PM
SM Tea Boy
I told ya. I would have thought, it would have been impossible to turn an alien invasion into a yawn feast. But they managed it.

Total shite.

David.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 7 09-07-2005 , 08:27 AM
Subscriber
Well, I probably have to wait another month or two before it opens in Denmark... But at least Hitchhikers opens sometime next month as far as I remember... When it comes to movies, this place sucks a**!

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 8 09-07-2005 , 10:14 AM
SM Tea Boy
Dam and I thought we got movies late!

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 9 11-07-2005 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber
Seems I was wrong about this one, it opened on june 29th... But Hitchhiker's isn't until august 12th! Blow...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 10 11-07-2005 , 10:19 PM
was gonna watch it but watched batman instead...it was pretty cool though.

# 11 12-07-2005 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber
As far as effects go, I'm not going to say anything because I couldn't have done any better. But overall, I think that the action of the whole movie was pretty good, but the plot basically sucked.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 12 13-07-2005 , 11:45 PM
Ya i was kinda just going for the affects and not the plot...i was impressed. Also did you guys see the King Kong preview?? That movies graphics look SWEEET. The plot is gona be blown far from the original King Kong i think, but hey, i just go for action and displayuser added image

PS. For you who havnt, here is the trailer--https://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/king_kong/med.html

PPS. At first i had no clue what it was, and saw jack black had a part(which doesnt seem funny by the way....) so i thought it sucked off the bat:p But you have to admit, a giant ape vs a T-rex(despite it being fake and never happen/happend) would be a cool thing to watchuser added image

Last edited by Shortay; 13-07-2005 at 11:50 PM.
# 13 14-07-2005 , 06:45 AM
Subscriber
I might go and see King Kong for the effects, but I am not going to see it for the story. I just hate Peter Jackson films. I have seen 5 films he did (LOTR trilogy, Braindead and The Frighteners), and absolutely hated all of them.
I know this will probably get me flamed (maybe not here, but it would on other sites), but I thought the LOTR films were the most boring rubbish I have ever seen, although War of the Worlds was not far behind.
To me, all of these summer blockbusters are the same - decent action and done on a really impressive scale, but have stories that wouldn't look out of place on a made for TV movie.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805