Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 09-11-2008 , 04:15 PM

Re-Modelin-nature witch to WARLOCK :P

Im remodeling my Nature witch to someting that looks more like a warlock, or some black magic sorceress. user added image
I re-model the entire chest area, the stomatch, remodel also that part that connects the legs and the rest of the body and re-shape the legs and arms, the butt!, and of course all of the clothes are new desings! user added image
Im also going to reshape the actual gloves, or maybe model something new.

I have to say, that I got realy inspire by the Warhammer online new CG, its just one of the things you say.. OMG! I wish I could do something like that!?.. So i decided to remodel my character and give it a try.

Im also runing with a issue I will try to explain.

I have the face with all the blend shapes done, and also the face is rig to the skeleton of my character.
What I want is to re-shape a little bit my head, but, when I do this, and later I animate one of the blend shapes, the points I reshape, comes back to where the where, cuz in the target objects of the blend shapes are on a diferent position, the original position.
I realize that if I delete the targets I can reshape some points on the head and when I animate the blendshapes its ok, its what I want, but I dont want to delete my target,cuz maybe I will need them later to reshape maybe a facial expresion.. cuz you would never know what you will need in some scene.

Sooo what can I do? I also.. like I say.. I have the face bind to my rig, but I think its no big deal to move some points even if its bind.. right? The only thing I realy want is to reshape a couple of points between the eye area and the nose are, something I can do like in 30 seconds!

So... anyone?
Comment are a MOST! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 09-11-2008 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
that looks cool

i hope she wont be fighting in snow or wind, because she is totally going to freeze! user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 09-11-2008 , 04:36 PM
Thanks dude!
Well yeah.. she cant go fight the litch king dress like that. lOl

But the good thing about the remodeling of the body, is that in the future, I can dress her anyway I want, cuz the body is looking good. user added image

# 4 09-11-2008 , 11:04 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
With regard to the blendshapes and modelling thats quite straight forward. Obviously its rigged and you dont want to undo anything.

Presuming you did your blendshapes befor you rigged it heres how to solve your problem:

You basically duplicate the original head and move it off to one side (DO NOT FREEZE TRANSFORMATIONS!), reshape what you need to then create a new blend shape with this time the setting in the blendshape options needs to be set to Parallel then once the shape is created go to the channel box and under Parallel Blendshape simply type value from 0 to 1 for the appropriate mesh. The Shape of the face will now change. Then right click over the Value channel and do Lock Selected. this will stop you moving the value by accident. You should now be able to do your animation or move the head without probs.

Ive been using this type of technique on characters for four years and it works absolutely fine, it even helps using this technique to create new characters from the same mesh and use old blend shapes from the original model....but that I'll save for another day

Jay

# 5 10-11-2008 , 04:53 AM
Thanks a lot Jay.
I will test this right away! And let you know what happend.

# 6 10-11-2008 , 06:50 AM
Jay I run a test on a nurbs sphere.
So basically what im doing is.. creating a new blend shape with parallel option, then just moving the slider of that blend shape to a value of 1. And that is acting like a fix for all the other blendshapes? is fixing those points. right?

You realy save my day dude! Thanks a lot man.
I will test it on the model latter today, cuz im busy at work right now. lOl.

Thanks again

# 7 10-11-2008 , 09:53 AM
Yeah thats right, you got it.

No probs. Let me know if it works....or not LOL

Jay

# 8 10-11-2008 , 10:05 AM
Yeah it works just fine!
My head is reshape now, and all the other blendshapes works perfect, also the bind.
I cant believe it! user added image
Thanks again.

# 9 10-11-2008 , 10:16 AM
Kazama

Excellent. thats great

The technique used is not very well known. I'll have to get a tutorial done on it soon

glad it works

Jay

# 10 10-11-2008 , 10:17 AM
Yes man, great technique.

# 11 10-11-2008 , 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
I think this looks good, only problem I can see is that as it gets down her mid section, into the hips and buttocks it gets a little boxy, other than that, its pretty cool.

- Genny
# 12 10-11-2008 , 10:47 AM
ok.. so you see the edges of the body a little. hard maybe? I'll look into it man.
Thanks

# 13 11-11-2008 , 05:38 AM

New Hands

new hands.
Maybe im going to move some points there in the gloves.

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 12-11-2008 , 03:52 AM

Body UV's

Taking out the uvs can be a loooooong process. :/

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 12-11-2008 , 05:20 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Long AND tedious...
I think it will be worth it to see this textured