Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-04-2014 , 08:59 AM

Best way to animate a character in maya

Please, I would like to know, between using walk cycles and converting to a progressive motion and creating the walk plus the motion as you go, which is the best way to animate? Walk cycles. Seem to be the easier one at first but, it get really complicated when you have to do gymnastics and some other advanced movements.

So, I would like to know which one to perfect on.

Thanx in advance

# 2 24-04-2014 , 03:07 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 02-05-2014 , 08:12 AM

Sorry? I don't think I understand the question. Animation is usually done via a pose-to-pose method.

See https://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/...u/popThru.html

Hello Nextdesign, I'm really sorry for replying late, the reply mail was sent to my spam folder. I appreciate your response.

Thank you for the link. I was talking about for example, if you want to make a character walk. Is it better to make a walk cycle and later use the master control to convert it to a progressive forward movement OR is it better to just make the character walk progressively as you pose without needing a master controller for making the character move forward?

# 4 02-05-2014 , 02:00 PM
Technical Director
There is really no "correct" way to do it. Like many things in Maya, if it works, do it. You must be aware however that some of the ways will take more time than others. That being said I would say it's best to animate a cycle, then animate the master control as it's less work.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 11-05-2014 , 05:58 PM

There is really no "correct" way to do it. Like many things in Maya, if it works, do it. You must be aware however that some of the ways will take more time than others. That being said I would say it's best to animate a cycle, then animate the master control as it's less work.

Thanx so much, I appreciate.