Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 23-09-2005 , 12:25 AM
u make the monkey an active body and the floor a rigid (or the other way around) but thats wut ctrl+z is for :p

# 17 23-09-2005 , 10:03 AM
Thanks for the tip moldy530 I'll try it when I get home from work today.
Cheers.
Penguin

# 18 23-09-2005 , 08:36 PM
np... but if im wrong im sry...still a newb lol

gl
user added image

# 19 23-09-2005 , 09:57 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Do you mean for the rig?

If so, select the IK handle on the leg and check the settings in the attribute editor. Turn on 'Sticky'

Jay

# 20 17-10-2005 , 12:27 AM

final rig

Ok, so here it is. After a lot of T&E, many crappy or incomplete tuts, tons of cursing and banging my head against the wall and a whole boat-load of fun......... I finally have finished my custom rig. I ended up trashing all previous attempts and just started this one from scratch. No tuts for this one it's entirely custom. IK for the legs and arms, set driven keys for the hands and feet and lots of manually oriented local rotation axi's. I now have a new best friend, the Connection Editor LOL. Anyway, I am very happy with the way this one turned out. I feel like I have learned so much over the process of building this thing. It does everything I set out to make it do and is very easy and fun to animate. (Don't have to touch any joints user added image ) Next I just have to get the skinning right, then it's on to an animation test. Hope to have that update soon.
Cheers,
Penguin

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 24-10-2005 , 10:33 PM

# 22 25-10-2005 , 01:35 PM
Ok, not bad, my crit would be that the legs are kinda bound a bit bad, but tha animation's pretty good.

# 23 25-10-2005 , 02:34 PM
Thanks Matt. You are right about the legs. It looks even worse when you see the smooth proxy (see attached pics) I actually have some free time today. (which I never get during the week) So I'll try to work on that. I guess I'll try to refine the CV membership and add some flexors. That's what I did for the elbow, and knees. Worked out pretty well.
Cheers,
Penguin

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 29-10-2005 , 03:31 PM
Ok, So I worked on the problems with the legs. They look much better now. I ended up removing some of he vertices from the hip joints and giving them to the (pelvis/root) joint. I also added flexors to the hip joints.
In addition to the legs I tweaked the bind on the torso. I noticed that is was creasing and/or folding-in upon itself when deformed into more extreme poses. For this I just added flexors to the lower and mid spine joints. (gotta love those latticesuser added image )
Here's the updates.
Penguin

Attached Thumbnails