Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 23-01-2007 , 03:10 PM

lost directional emitter

for some strange reason maya won't let me create directional emitters. all the other options (such as volume emitter etc) come up. But not directional emitter.:headbang:

CAn anyone help? Its driving me mad.

# 2 24-01-2007 , 10:41 AM
Never seen that. Can you explain more about the stapos of what you're doing? What version of Maya? Are there any errors or warnings when you launch Maya? etc...

I just tried and directionals are still there so there's something very odd in your setup.

# 3 24-01-2007 , 10:45 AM
I've given up on the directional emitter. What i am attempting to do is contain particles within a cone, with the particles emitting from the tip of the cone. Any ideas? I'm getting so stuck!user added image

# 4 24-01-2007 , 10:49 AM
Well what are you stuck on. I would create a small cone, emit from the object, and have a larger cone that your particles collide with. Pretty simple if I understand you correctly. What's not working?

# 5 24-01-2007 , 11:01 AM
erm. how do you effect where in the shape the emitter is located? at the moment it is located at the base of the cone, not the tip.

# 6 24-01-2007 , 11:04 AM
the whole shape (or you can look into emitting by texture but you really don't need to). Just do as I recommended and you'll be golden.

# 7 24-01-2007 , 11:16 AM

oh dear.

k. Well, what i did was:

create cone
create 3d fluid container
shift select both
emit from object.
create larger cone around it. shift select both
make collide.

But there aint no collision. i need them to radiate out evenly in a cone shape. and then when they hit objects to be blocked and continue to radiate outwards in manner of a spot light. (the whole point of this is to, in effect, solidify a spot light. I'm really sorry to bug you so much. I've been trying for days! :blush:

# 8 24-01-2007 , 11:22 AM
oh, I had no idea you were using fluids. Thought it was particles. I don't know fluids well at all, but my main question would be why are you using them? Why not just create a spot light with fog?

# 9 24-01-2007 , 11:35 AM
because I am an architecture student and I am attempting to show a spot light as a solid polygon that I can manipulate, and it will appear like a shape with the shadows of objects cut out of it. c?

# 10 24-01-2007 , 11:38 AM
Honestly I don't. Seems like you could do that with a spot light casting shadows and fog turned on, but maybe I just don't get what you're really trying to do. Sorry and good luck.

# 11 24-01-2007 , 11:47 AM
one more reply. I've done it with fog bfore. But i need to manipulate the shape now. not just have it show up in the renderer. Well. thanks for all your help anyway! :p