Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 151 11-02-2009 , 07:43 PM
Copy the skin weights over, works superb.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 152 11-02-2009 , 10:23 PM
Cheers Gster got it working perfect. Got to do the hair and sort out the shading but think he is looking like the Joker at last. Got to also add the clutch bits on the bike.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by leonlabyk; 11-02-2009 at 11:16 PM.
# 153 11-02-2009 , 11:45 PM
Here is a better render. I hope to get the other bits on the bike by his feet, his hair + eyes and the tatoos on his arms all done over the weekend.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Leon

Attached Thumbnails
# 154 12-02-2009 , 01:45 AM
Subscriber
Going to be honest - I saw this over at cdtalk aswell but thought I address this here as it`s a much friendlier place.

For me your project is a little all over the place. You have cartoon characters looking life like but then render just their cloths toon shaded. Its not working for me at all.

The joker is the best looking at the moment but I think its because there is no toon shading. The models of the bikes and backgrounds look really good but the characters need some work. Kananda looks 6/7 years too young, he`s 16 in the comic books, but your face looks like he`s about 9.

You have the skill - looking at Tetuso mutated hand pic and your current joker - you can model characters as well as hard surface objects like the bike, just more time is need on the characters.

I think this will end up looking really good

Sorry if it sounds a little harsh (Feeling a little mean typing this, but I think it needs to be said)

# 155 12-02-2009 , 10:58 AM
"Sorry if it sounds a little harsh (Feeling a little mean typing this, but I think it needs to be said)"

Not at all Tweetytunes it is a very constructive crit and I agree. After completing the Joker I feel the characters will look and work much better if they are rendered without using the toon shader. I think Kaneda will also look a lot better if he is fully textured and his face will hopefully look more like that of a 16 year old.

Thanks for your thoughts on this it is much appreciated,

Leon

# 156 12-02-2009 , 04:33 PM
Subscriber
Just trying to help - glad you can take a crit

Keep up the good work - Has it really been going on for 2 years

# 157 12-02-2009 , 06:26 PM
" Just trying to help - glad you can take a crit

Keep up the good work - Has it really been going on for 2 years"

Cheers mate, yeah it has been 2 years in the working, more off than on over the past year or so as I have been getting freelance work. This was my 1st ever project with Maya and I hope that I am getting close to being able to get it to a finished standard that I will be happy with very soon. Although then the animating will begin as and when I get the chance.

# 158 12-02-2009 , 11:13 PM
Got the hair tatoos and eyes done and just need to work on the other bits of his bike.

Attached Thumbnails
# 159 17-02-2009 , 09:43 PM
Got some big help from christophe desse with the shader set up on this and am looking forward to using it on the other characters. Here is how the Joker is now looking.

Link to christophe desse portfolio where you will find other cell shaded works.

https://xtrm3d.cgsociety.org/gallery/728776/

user added image

user added image

user added image

Last edited by leonlabyk; 18-02-2009 at 12:29 AM.
# 160 17-02-2009 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
They look fantastic. You must be so pleased with that.

Any chance you can share some of the tips he gave you

# 161 17-02-2009 , 10:35 PM
Yeah he has done an amazing job on this and cannot wait to use the technique on the other characters. He hasnt given me any tips but was extremely kind in uploading me a tutorial which he has for sale over at gnomon. Am very greatful for his help on this as you can imagine. I will get the other characters set up once he has uploaded the tutorial and the Joker.

https://gnomonology.com/tutorial/373

By the way tweety tunes been keeping an eye on your grimlock on here and over at cg society and it is looking aewsome mate. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Leon

# 162 24-02-2009 , 12:49 AM
I do like the last couple of renders, really turned out nice.

Keep it up man!

-Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 163 24-02-2009 , 02:23 PM
Can't you do everything a little more dirtier??? I mean, not rusted or damaged, just dirty. I watched akira, aren't they supposed to live in a "post appocaliptic" Tokyo, so it can't be clean. Not criticising your model or as a 3d modeler, just as a anime fan. user added image

# 164 02-03-2009 , 04:09 PM
Cheers Gio

Thanks for your thoughts on this Bluemana, I think you are probably right and with time permitting I will try and add some marks and what not in the texture maps.

Here is how Tetsuo is looking having spent this morning working on the shader set up. Big thanks to christophe, I highly recommend hes tutorial over on gnomon if you are after these kind of results.

user added image

# 165 02-03-2009 , 04:47 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
dude really sweet