Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 62 02-11-2007 , 07:59 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Turbo Dan

i have a job in 3d
and anyone in the 3d industry would never bring up such an ignorant discussion in the first place.

when you grow up you develop an eye for detail and logic, some have not clearly.

in the studio I work in everybodys opinion is valued and if someone, including the directors, disagrees they would never come across arrogant and overheated.
Everyone gets what you are saying, the two are not the same and you cannot get identical results, -appreciated

It'll be great if we can now go back to those lovely renders of yours and you show your experience with stunning images instead of not so stunning rants.

user added image

www.animateme.me.uk

# 63 02-11-2007 , 08:21 AM
Very impressive renders. Not sure I am willing to pick a favorite so I will leave it at that.

Keep up the good work

# 64 02-11-2007 , 08:54 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Turbo Dan
how about if you have something to say about maya software, gtfo of my thread, and stop spamming it with ignorance.

Is swearing aloud on simplymaya?

and btw dude, im not saying that i could render that in S\W i was just saying it looks like it could have been s\w so i thought i would ask what renderer your useing, gosh,, didnt mean any harm.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz

# 65 02-11-2007 , 10:52 AM
ok barring all flaming and stupid happenings...

since you're going for realism... i just did an oil change and I think that the raw metal is a little too dark, sleek and shiny. its pretty right now, but realistically it should appear a little less polished and a tad lighter (in value) in my opinion.

also, the interior of the oil filter contains a filter element doodadd, you might either model that so that it looks not so empty in there, or darken the interior so that the green exterior does not show through the holes. looking good though, really like the painted metal exterior. those were just my observations that were instant gotchas on it being a cg image.

# 66 02-11-2007 , 11:05 AM
Subscriber
I hate to fuel this fire, but you are acting very arrogant and immature. I've seen so many people with this outlook, and they never succeed unless they change.
Based on your reaction, I don't think you've ever read this comment even though it's been repeated throughout your thread several times:

You can usually mimic the qualities of different renderers if you put enough time into the setup and post-processing (Similar to what you said in your own post). It's just usually not practical. That isn't to say, however, that it's not possible.

each time you reply with some iteration of 'you're ignorant, gtfo'.
You need to quit being so pretentious just because you have some job in 3d or whatever justification you think you have. Nobody has the right to be acting this way.

@boomz, I actually think based on his reference it could use higher specular qualities on the green shader, but it's hard to say without an environment being reflected.

[edit: oops, I thought you were talking about the outside part]

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 02-11-2007 at 11:23 AM.

# 67 02-11-2007 , 11:40 AM
agreed, it could use brighter on the painted exterior after taking second look at your reference. but the metal on the interior should look not quite as sophisticated, not as polished, its just regular metal. as much as a perfect reality as it may be, auto execs might view that as something that "didn't quite meet expectations of reality"

being that I have given a fully useful critique now:

in response to Funky Bunnies' comments
@Turbo Dan: Yea, there are a lot of people with jobs in 3D however it doesn't give you some unalienable right to disregard a person's critique. You may want to actually explain why the renderers are so different. It appeared to me that you were blindly stating that the two renderers cannot be compared because the results are so different. They are based on separate lighting models, attempting to mimic reality in completely different ways. Pretty sure here that Maya's Software renderer is, in short, based on local illumination (with reverse-from-reality ray tracing) while (to my understanding) the maxwell renderer is highly based on faking real-world lighting scenarios through Global Illumination (which you must remember, is still only an approximation of the way light works in the real world). Don't just make claims and dismiss... explain yourself. The burden of proof was on you to give your 'opponent' the reasoning as to why he shouldn't claim like maxwell-like results can be achieved with SW renderer. Don't be so quick to fly off the handle or you'll never get anywhere in this industry. Funky is right in that it isn't practical but it isn't impossible either. Someone could paint that image pixel by pixel in MSpaint if they tried hard enough.

# 68 02-11-2007 , 01:07 PM
The Maya Mountain
Good grief, this is the most ridiculous thread I've seen in a long time. Coming as one in the industry, it doesn't matter how talented someone is, if they can't be worked with and gotten along with, they don't work long.

That being said, nice oil filter.

Let's see something else now and let's ALL stfu.