Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-01-2003 , 04:43 PM

The Joy of Making Video Tutorials

Well, I finally got around to checking out camtasia while using my pro audio setup to record the sound....sounds nice at the default 22.5K (the sound, not my voice...hehe). I really have to give the folks who have done video tuts props because man, it is not easy sitting there talking to yourself for 3 minutes let alone 45! It's a strange trip! It's also really weird when you've gotten used to custom marking menus and using the hotbox for everything to go back and use the default settings so folks can follow along. I end up with alot of pauses and "ummms" in my sentences. user added image I need a script.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 2 20-01-2003 , 04:51 PM
Kevin
lol yes a script is what you need mate, as well as 20 takes to get it anywhere near release - able LOL

# 3 20-01-2003 , 05:06 PM
20 beers and you're flying through the trip user added image
Or maybe not quite that many user added image

user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 20-01-2003 , 05:08 PM
And don't forget actually knowing what you're teaching helps as well...hehehe.

# 5 20-01-2003 , 07:25 PM
I still gotta work on my "Ummms" a bit more.... hehe..

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 20-01-2003 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
Yes on my first tut only 10 min long I didnt have a script because I THOUGHT I knew what I was going to say and as Kevin said after 20 takes of listening to as ragecgi said UMMMS... I said Yes I did it!!!
user added image

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 7 20-01-2003 , 08:16 PM
The Maya Mountain
My biggest problem seems to be forgetting simple words... like I'd say "Now, press W on the key board for your... ... .... thingie that moves stuff...... TRANSLATION tool, that's it!"

lol

# 8 20-01-2003 , 10:35 PM
Subscriber
Bhwuahahahah user added image user added image

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 9 21-01-2003 , 12:44 AM
SM Alumni
lol.. know what you mean.
I always found it hard to keep talking... as in not going from being descriptive (well vaguely) to saying "then we do this... then that... now this" without actually telling anyone what the hell i was doing. people who teach this to newbies for a living must be incredibly disciplined people! respect to them user added image

# 10 21-01-2003 , 02:50 PM
Can one check what u made?
:9

the goal is 5D space aka Nirvana

# 11 21-01-2003 , 03:02 PM
You can, but keep in mind, after recording 45-60 minutes of footage, if you go back and find a mistake, you have no choice but to cut that part, and do it all over again....

Sometimes that can be a mixed blessing however, because after you do it once for that long, you can usually know how to do it more efficiently and faster, making for an easier download for the usersuser added image

Sometimes when it's all over and I find a mistake, that's when I have to gravel, and plead like GOLUM for forgiveness to Kevin
because now the release date is moved back a day or so....

This is mainly because, say you record a 50 minute tutorial, now it takes that long to "render" it, and about the same lenght again for our software to make it a final movie.

So a 50 minute movie that took you around 2.5 hours to perfect including Pausing to make sure your bs works (hehe..), actually takes about 6 - 8 hours of work.

Then there's uploading it to the server...... whew....

When I have the time to sit down and power through it, it becomes more fun for me thoughuser added image

I love doing this because it forces me to try and learn more ways to do a certain effect or whateveruser added image

Just my 2 penceuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 12 21-01-2003 , 04:45 PM
You could do it in pieces and edit in Premiere, though, couldn't you? That way, if you've been yakking for 45 minutes and flub it in the last 5 you don't have re-do everything. I'm not going to go to crazy with it now as I saw Kev's other message about not wanting people to donate videos which was kinda the point for me learning it in the first place. I figured if the tuts were good enough and more advanced, they couldn't be added to the VIP section since people would still have to subscribe to see them. I can understand about the bandwidth issues, though. I just thought it would be interesting to finally see videos on maybe the less common things....using maya live, for example.

# 13 21-01-2003 , 05:56 PM
Subscriber
After read this topic, I curious... Do you guys capture the video and voice at the same time, right? Would that be easier to capture the video first, with a script to follow, and than record the voice?

Rodrigo Soares
www.r3dimensional.com
# 14 21-01-2003 , 06:01 PM
You could, but then you'd have to watch the video and time the actions to the dialog. It's easier to just use a script and do it all at the same time with Camtasia.

# 15 21-01-2003 , 06:06 PM
Subscriber
I agree.. The only problem is to read, speak and look waht you doing at the same time. They are acrobatics.... user added image

Rodrigo Soares
www.r3dimensional.com