Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-04-2012 , 01:12 AM
Lifetime Member

Storm trooper Helmet

Hey everyone I decided that I am going to try and really test my modeling skills by creating an object that loads of people will be able to recognize and help critic. I am going to shoot for a realistic production type model so any help along the way will be greatly appreciated.

This is what I got so far user added image hopefully I can get it finished before the next challenge.

Attached Images

- Jake
# 2 20-04-2012 , 09:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks like a Hoth trooper

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 20-04-2012 , 09:50 AM
The thin red line
I think if I was doing this I would break it up into about 5 primative to start that would give you a better edge flow but good luck with how you are doing it...........dave

# 4 20-04-2012 , 02:56 PM
Lifetime Member
Dave like patch modeling? I thought that wasn't really used anymore?

- Jake
# 5 20-04-2012 , 08:12 PM
Lifetime Member

Update

here is a bit more work I applied a quick texture to help show definition.

Let me know what you guys think.

user added image

- Jake
# 6 20-04-2012 , 09:06 PM
The thin red line
Jake could you show what references you are using, your mesh is starting to get some bad pinching. Patch modelling I dont know what they call it but it is easy to do it the way I said...........dave

# 7 20-04-2012 , 09:13 PM
Lifetime Member

Reference Images

Here are the reference images I am using.

Attached Images

- Jake
# 8 20-04-2012 , 09:33 PM
Lifetime Member
Here is a quick grab of the wires I cleaned up some of the pinched geo that you were talking about is there anywhere specifically that you can point out.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

- Jake
# 9 21-04-2012 , 01:24 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
MMMmm...good subject matter, as the design is great.

Im a big Star Wars fan and I can tell you this wrong straight out of the gate...its there feature wise, but it all needs a bit of a move around to get shape and proportions right, try and find as much ref as possible...also watch for the fake helmets..you can tell them a mile off, they look squashed...

Ive got a couple of links here:

https://www.newlaunches.com/entry_ima...t_helmet_1.jpg

https://www.starwarstoymuseum.com/ima...metauction.jpg

https://www.starwarshelmets.com/2007/...per-Helmet.jpg

these should hep you

JAy

# 10 21-04-2012 , 01:25 PM
Lifetime Member
Jake you seem to be having a problem conforming to the reference and the main issue is your edge flow does not flow with forms that are prominent, just like with a human face the you have to flow with the facial contours and your edge flow is not consistent with the mask so it will be very difficult to replicate the forms.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 11 26-04-2012 , 11:56 PM
Lifetime Member

Another update

Thanks everyone for the comments I am working on fixing the problems that have been pointed out.

so here is a quick render of a few angles Its easy to tell I have a lot left to do especially for the back of the helmet but I am happy with the progress thus far. Please keep the help coming. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

- Jake
# 12 27-04-2012 , 12:05 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the extra references Jay I went through and Hi-lighted the areas that I am really lacking detail.

I am not sure if I should add extra geo at this point to create these details or if I should break the entire model apart and build everything in sections and then snap edges together.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

- Jake