Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 27-03-2011 , 06:04 PM
Administrator
SkyMarshall, I feel your pain and I just wanted to tell you that the most difficult part when you start out is actually making your way around the Maya interface which is a bit of a project on its own. Once you get past that things will get a lot easier, and in this time you'll get stuck on little things that you'll (hopefully user added image)be laughing at a few months down the line. Watch the short videos that come with Maya because they'll really help you here, also have a look at the Free Fridays and the Free Tutorials, start with the "Glass Jug" and "Interior Design" they're straight forward and if you work through them you'll have a good idea of how to move around the interface.

For the GI part 1 is the most difficult part because Jay uses a custom shelf which is why you're confused I believe. Make sure you are in the polygons menu set at the top, you'll find a submenu there called "edit mesh" where all the tools Jay are using will be (split polygon and insert edge loop tool). You can also get these tools up by shift + right mouse click through the hotbox.

I also got what you mean by "front-back", he is working on an instance which he creates at 2.50 in part 1 so watch that again. But with your object selected go edit - duplicate options box.

I hope that helps a bit on the way, and just keep posting up on the forum when you get stuck that's why it's here user added image You just need to get past the first part and from there you shouldn't have any problems, it's just gonna take some time and hard work.

# 17 27-03-2011 , 08:56 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL Cheers Dave
Jay

# 18 29-03-2011 , 06:35 AM
Subscriber
Hi there again.

Yesterday I started all over again on the modelling of the GI head. Thought that would be an good idea, now that I feel abit more comfortable with toos etc in maya.

As I buildt my polygon cube, adjusted it to the right size, then cut it in half, and then duplicate it. When all that is done, and I use the border edge option, I can see that my cube haven't been connected together.
I double checked that I've used the same settings as Jay when I duplicated. So I try to use the snap to point tool to try to get em together before I start modelling. But it never goes to the point I want. Never snap's together. Not sure what Im doing wrong there. Seems like it's just choosing an rando point and connects.

Anyone have any Idea what im doing wrong?

Cheers

# 19 29-03-2011 , 07:12 AM
Lifetime Member
I havent done the tut mate but I would have thought Jay copied the mesh in 'instance' so the 2 halves dont need to be joined? I could be wrong.(could some one clarify this?)

Or if they are meant to be joined and Jay has reflection turned on (in the move tool options)....you need to 'Polgygons>Mesh>Combine' first up...then you need to highlight the vertices where the join is...and then go 'Polygons>EditMesh>Merge and click on the little option box next to merge...set the value to 0.01 and hit apply...this will set this value from now on when you merge and also merge the verts....if they dont merge then increase this value a bit...selecting apply will set this value as an automatic distance.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 20 29-03-2011 , 07:17 AM
mmm possible i used the instancing as this was done in maya 6, a few years back now

J

# 21 29-03-2011 , 07:27 AM
Subscriber
Thanks alot guys.

I'll try to work abit on it later on today when I come home from work.
Thanks a bunch all user added image

# 22 30-03-2011 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber
This is how far I've come. Tryin to keep a clean mesh as you advised, tho it can be really tough sometimes.

Noticed now that I have a few places to clean the mesh abit user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 30-03-2011 , 10:48 PM
SM Tea Boy
Considering your new to Maya thats pretty bloody good. If you can make it all the way through this tutorial I take my hat of to you.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 24 31-03-2011 , 07:06 AM
Subscriber
Thanks alot Dave. user added image

I had a little peak at the 3rd vidoe of the tutorial, and it's the ear that's next. Looked quite complicated.
Tho I'll get through it one way or another user added image

# 25 10-08-2011 , 10:50 AM
Subscriber
Hi there everyone.

Thought I would post a picture of how my work is going with my GI. Remember that this is my first project ever in any Maya or 3d program ever user added image

Another thing I want to say, is that I want to thank Jay for this tutorial. I've learned so much from him.
Since he not only tells you how, but why aswell you learn so much more. And he keeps talking to you throughout the tut, so you don't feel so lonely when you sit there modeling alone user added image
Keep up the good work Jay.
I for sure will buy more of your tutorials.

Cheers.

Skyamrshall

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 10-08-2011 , 12:21 PM
hey SkyMarshall

Many thanks for the kind words, really appreciated. Its looking pretty good to me from here - good job that man!!

We are currently in the process of a couple of new tutes, one of them I think you'll enjoy for sure!!

anyway its under wraps until its release mwhahahaha!!

cheers
Jay

# 27 10-08-2011 , 01:26 PM
Jay, replacing a vacuum tube in his first computer...

user added image

Jay's, first critically acclaimed model. It took one week to render!

user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 10-08-2011 at 05:19 PM.
# 28 10-08-2011 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
Ha ha ha.. Epic post ctbram user added image

# 29 17-08-2011 , 10:09 PM
Texan
That's really good Sky.

If you think that's bad you should see some of my freestyle stuff. (No money for tutorialsuser added image)

# 30 17-08-2011 , 11:11 PM
Cheers Rick

My PC is still like it. I have to buy a new hamster every day as they tend to die in the wheel generating all that power to keep it going

J