Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-05-2007 , 08:00 PM

Maya basic of the basic

Hi,

After a few months i've decided to try again to learn maya (I have a few weeks off).

I've downloaded the free dog tutorial from this site. Problem is i find it very hard to follow. The version of Maya i have (8.0) isn't the same as in the movie.

Second it isn't really explained why you do things. Just what buttons to click. Now if you know a bit more of Maya i guess it wouldn't be a problem but for me it is.

Is there a tutorial somewere that really explains the basis of Maya at a really low level? So i can understand better and follow the tutorial?

Thanks in advange.

# 2 11-05-2007 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
The only thing I know of for the basics is the help files, when Maya is open press F1 and the help files will pop up. From there you can look up anything you want and there are little tutorials to practice with, pretty helpful to. Basically what you want to do when you're new to maya (atleast this is what I did) spend a couple weeks just messing around in it doing whatever you can, learn where things are in the program. After you have a feel for the program and where things are and what things do, then have a stab at one of the free tutorials.

# 3 11-05-2007 , 11:05 PM
Oke i'll try that. Thanks.

# 4 12-05-2007 , 02:32 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
My first thing i did with maya was a tutorial based dvd set called maya essential training from lynda.com.
This (was for me) a great start, it covered all the basics.
good luck

# 5 12-05-2007 , 02:10 PM
Senior Software Developer
Also look into investing in one or two books. Maya At A Glance sprinsg to mind and would resolve all your "lack of knowlegde" issues, it covers the entire UI in detail. Also look into Maya 7, or 8 Foundation book. Both are available in Amazon, Autodesk stores and online in general. So check your local bookstore and online for the cheapest price. I would go Amazon as you can get them 2nd hand at a fraction of the price.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 12-05-2007 , 03:31 PM

Mess around

When i got started with maya i just tried messing around with things. create a polygon primitive cube and just extrude sum faces to create an object that looks roughly like wat u wanted it to look like.

then fiddle around with the vertices to smooth it out a bit.

also make something then use every single effect and button u can find on it just to see wat it does.

if u mess around enough then eventually u will get the hang of some of the basics.

hope that helps

# 7 12-05-2007 , 06:19 PM
thank you very much