SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Maya Modeling / selecting overlapping verts from multiple objects

Maya Modeling Everything on Modeling Techniques and Tools - NURBS, Polygons and Subdivisions Related in this Section.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

14-10-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
rendfox

selecting overlapping verts from multiple objects
I can't figure this out. Take a polygonal cube, extract one face. Now you have two objects. At each of the four corners of the extracted face there are now two overlapping vertices, one from each object. How can I select the two verts on a corner and manipulate them as one, while still keeping the objects seperate?
14-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Velusion

I think if you COMBINE the two object they will act as one so that you can pull the vertices around. After that I think you can UNCOMBINE (I think that's what it's called on the menu) them and they will be seperate again...
14-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
portermalone
Subscriber

If you click and drag a small marquie around the overlapped vertices it will select them both. You can confirm this by looking at you poly count display. Be careful with the marquie because it can select unwanted vertices if the marquie is to big. Or turn on backface-culling if your having a big problem.
22-10-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
rendfox

Thanks guys. I found that switching the selection mode to "Select by component type" and then "points" for the selection mask got me what I needed.