Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-03-2005 , 11:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Head for work

Hey everyone,

heres a head Im working on for a new generation of characters for work. I'll be using the same mesh to blend between characters so I dont have to make new blendshapes every time. Just the odd parallel correction shape

Comments and crits as always

_J

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-03-2005 , 11:18 PM
Oh and before you ask, heres a wire.

_J

Attached Images
# 3 05-03-2005 , 11:42 PM
This model is perfect as far as i can tell. Good jobuser added image

what do you mean by using the same mesh to blend between characters?

# 4 05-03-2005 , 11:51 PM

# 5 06-03-2005 , 12:09 AM
I can see the resemblence with the sheriff... is it his brother?

# 6 06-03-2005 , 12:13 AM
Thanks Guys

Fubar: No Ngons, its just a Sub D before conversion.

Aidan: When creating a character You can use say for example this head as a Generic head with all your blendshapes fed into it for the expressions. Then with the standard default head duplicated and offset to one side you can create another face of perhaps a guy with a broken nose. You can then re feed this face back in as a parallel blendshape (see blend options) and this 'new' character will have all the expressions from the Generic head, the only down side if you like is that some expressions may need to be adjusted slightly in which case you would choose to duplicate the new head in a particular expression and tweak it then just refeed the new shape back in again (whew)

Cheers
_J

# 7 06-03-2005 , 12:14 AM
DJ:No its just a coincidence , this guy is a soccer player LOL

_J

# 8 06-03-2005 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber
this is some amazing head modelling, very nice

First year 3D Grad
# 9 06-03-2005 , 03:05 AM
Howdy Jango, how are u doing? Nice work as always!! Nice clean model . user added image Looking forward to seeing the progress on this guy. user added image

MainlineX

-------------------------------------------
# 10 06-03-2005 , 10:26 AM
Turbo Dan: Thanks man, your words are appreciated

Mainline X: Buddy how ya doing, I'm good thanks. Busy with models and this particular head is for work but I have bought it home to finish do the hair and bits. I have left the texture at work which is finished pretty much, but as I said some bits for this still need doing, also Im pleased with the way its turned out so I thought Id post it ( will post with textures during the week). Outlaws is getting bigger by the day and Im working on a new character for that now too. So that'll be posted when I have something a bit more tangeble to show, its just a potatoe looking mesh right now!! Also a forum should be up and running there this week for you dudes to register on so keep an eye out on that one!! Thanks for your comments as always

Regards

_J

# 11 06-03-2005 , 04:39 PM
Nice and clean work there. Very nice.

# 12 07-03-2005 , 01:48 PM
Subscriber
looks ok.
- i would fix the ears, the bridge from head to ear is too hard, and pocking outward.
- the nostril areas
- and the bottom and corners of the eyes.

-----------------------

that sounds like a good idea for reusing the blendshapes,
but if you are using and old blendshape on this mesh, it will take the shape of the old mesh.
it will not just copy them to the likeness of this new head.
blendshapenodes are postion coordinates of the verts in local space,
correct me if im wrong, otherwise that is a good idea to store blendshapes and reuse themm on smilar heads. although im not sure if this method will work.

# 13 07-03-2005 , 07:17 PM
Hey Vlad
Hows it going? Thanks for your crit it is appreciated. Although nice comments are what we want these useful ones are the ones to show the way forward and up a level, as I see it anyway.

I am gonna look into these areas this week(as its a work model that all the other characters will form from) so Thursday is gonna be the earliest but I'll post the updates. The Nostrils plagued me a bit last week and am still looking at my own for reference.

The ears I'm not too concerned but will have a gander anyway, but the eyes Im not finished with as the eyball is not the final as it will be redone and I also need tearduct and lashes so they need to be better before I do this little lot.

As for the blend shapes, it works. Myself and my team have been using this method for the last 3 years, its tried and tested and its good. The only down side is if you have a characters face that is so extreme around the mouth for instance, and its not behaving after the Parallel blend has been applied you have to turn on the blend for that shape and duplicate it or 'add' from the base model then it allows you to offset it and edit the mesh accordingly then just refeed the new shape. I'll post an example at some point. Its a good and easy way when you have lots of characters to do, and I have a soccer team of dudes that Im upgrading right now at work. Also the order you do the shapes is VITAL, or it wont work, especially when you have a rig a stake to on the other end as well!! Hope this gives you an insight.

Cheers dude
_J

# 14 07-03-2005 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber
Mighty fine model mr J.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 15 07-03-2005 , 08:01 PM
Many Thanks RC

Did you get my PM (reply)??

Laters

_J