Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 22-08-2004 , 03:00 AM
Subscriber

split poly tool question

hi,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before (and I hope this is in the right forum) but I cannot figure out how to split in the middle of a face with the split poly tool. Michael McKinley does it in the poly ear tutorial. He starts from the edge and then clicks in the middle of a surface and it inserts a point. I can't seem to do that, i just end up with a point on an edge or nothing at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the hassle...
thank you...

Seth Dorcus

skippyp3@hotmail.com

# 2 22-08-2004 , 03:07 AM
Subscriber
I dunno which tutorial you are refering to, but I don't think the Split Poly Tool will work correctly if you click in the middle of a surface like the center of a face. As far as I know, the Split Poly Tool is used by clicking on edges. You must first click on one edge, then click on an adjacent edge. Note that you cannot expect the tool to work if you are clicking on a second edge that has other edges inbetween itself and your first edge, so like you can't click on one edge, then another edge six faces away.

It's possible Mike was using a special tool, perhaps similar to the facePathSplit tool I have for download on my site which might need to be used differently.

Last, but not least, you might not be able to complete an edge with the Poly Split Tool because of extra faces you are not aware of that would actually make the geometry layout different that it appears. (like a face directly on top of a face) I doubt this is the problem, but if you want to check, try selecting random faces around your problem area and move them about to see if you can find extra faces underneath that shouldn't be there. (undo to return your geometry back to where it was of course after moving stuff around)

# 3 22-08-2004 , 03:26 AM
Subscriber
I dont know if this is what u meant, Serth, but if you uncheck "snap to edge" in the split poly options box. This lets u use the tool on all the surface.

I made an example.

Like I said, I dont know if this is what u want, but I tried anywayuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 22-08-2004 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
Thank you, with the snap to edge option turned off it now works(I can't believe I overlooked that), that was what i was talking about (sorry for not explaining any better). Thank you very much for your time and help, I can now continue modeling...
thanks again

serth

skippyp3@hotmail.com

# 5 22-08-2004 , 03:50 AM
Subscriber
No probs, mate. Glad I could helpuser added image

# 6 22-08-2004 , 05:46 AM
Subscriber
hey, why didn't I know about that option earlier? I can't believe I've never heard of anyone using that particular feature before... guess you learn something new everyday though.

# 7 22-08-2004 , 02:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
make sure you end on an edge also