Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-08-2006 , 04:52 PM
Subscriber

Mudbox 3D

Scanning through the latest 3D World in WH Smiths today and noted some new program called Mudbox 3D. Anyone in the beta and knows a little about this program, seems to be a zbrush clone by the looks of things but apparantly has a less steep learning curve. Anybody know anything about this program?

# 2 28-08-2006 , 06:10 PM
i'm pretty sure this program's been mentioned around these parts before... try doing a search of the forum. i want to say it was either jay or vladimirjp that was talking about it, can't really recall, but i do believe the person also said he was a beta tester as well.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 28-08-2006 , 07:28 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yo!!

Somebody rub the lamp?

yeah Vlad and myself were hoping to both get beta versions,though I must admit to not getting approved, though no matter I have Z brush anyhow. Not sure how Vlad did though...

I was extremely interested in this though. Mudbox is supposed to be a more friendly interface than the current Z brush version, which I will admit is a little unorthodox at first but once you get your head around it, its just amazing. But on seeing the new Z its alot better and has some kickass features.

Mudbox however has been designed by artists for artists, I think the dudes responsible worked at weta, I may be confused with something else. Its interface is supposed to resemble that of PS and Maya combined, also when using it as well its user friendly and from recent rumblings in other forums you can get to grips with it in well under an hour!! So anyone who has a beta let us know how it compares to Z if possible.

As always though I have read the usual crap about it being the Z killer!! Load of arse, just the usual mish mash of Max is better than Maya and Oasis are bigger than jesus type comments...

To be expected though...

Jay

# 4 28-08-2006 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber
i didnt get on the beta either. i was hoping to.

its hard to compare MB and ZB , since MB is still in beta, and ZB is seeing its 4th release [iirc]
so if the beta of MB is up to par with ZB [2 not 2.5] in terms of raw-poly-pushing and ease of use, i think MB v1.5 or even 2 will eventually surpass ZB albeit they throw in a way to paint models, because as of now its strictly sculpting.

ive seen some awsome works from some of the beta testers though.

for now, i must say i love ZBuser added image
although navigating in it still infuriates me at times, but its so efficient and with tons of features

# 5 28-08-2006 , 08:07 PM

ive seen some awsome works from some of the beta testers though.

for now, i must say i love ZB although navigating in it infuriates me at times, but its so effecient and with tons of features

Hi Vlad

I agree on both accounts, you were right too, somedays you can have a love hate thing with Z

Jay

# 6 28-08-2006 , 10:59 PM
I think Mudbox looks great and judging from screens very simple.. The only thing that i would like is that they would also add texture painting user added image

But as i look at what 2.5 has to offer, i mean those non destructive workflow is the best thing i ever seen :bow:

# 7 29-08-2006 , 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Jay
[...] Mudbox is supposed to be a more friendly interface than the current Z brush version [...] Its interface is supposed to resemble that of PS and Maya combined,[...]
As always though I have read the usual crap about it being the Z killer!! Load of arse, just the usual mish mash of Max is better than Maya and Oasis are bigger than jesus type comments...

To be expected though...

Jay

You read that TO ME if what they say is true: SAME OR BETTER DISP/NORMALMAP GENERATION than ZB, WITH MAYA+PS LIKE INTERFACE... ONLY THEN and, again, TO ME (and im no you, or anybody else, thankfully) it would be a zkiller and only on that area... ive yet to see it with my own eyes...

having an interface you alrready know and love is always a powerful treat...

(and yes, i do know a bit of the zb interface (mainly normalmapping, painting displacements and projection master) but no, i dont like the current zb one...)

# 8 29-08-2006 , 10:48 AM
Again...

I am merely quoting from what people have said (the beta users and some university dudes) Some saying its a Z killer, but thats just ludicrous, its peoples own choice at the end of the day

Quotes have arisen as they always do when comparing software, max is better than maya and vice versa.

At the end of the day, once again, the artist WILL make the difference...regardless of software.

Jay