Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-03-2008 , 02:24 PM

Lining up those darn planes..

Well on my work for my car I have 3 planes front,side and top the side and top line up but not the not I have tried everything scaling the plane,moving it and so on but it still does not add up....
You do not notice the misaligned vertexes until you tweak the vertexes in 2 of the 3 views then the 3rd one is the conflict.
I would love to be able to get ahold of some premade(like all the same size for modeling) planes of preferbaly(doesn't have to be) a sports car.
Other than that I'd be done with the front and I would have a model thread open. I got in 10 minutes the front hood using a nurbs plane so I'm having fun minus the reference image problem.

# 2 21-03-2008 , 03:17 PM
most times when you're trying to make sure your 3 planes all line up you're doing it in photoshop... this way you've got ruler tools and such that you can line up lines with, etc. if you go to www.learningmaya.com and look at the modeling page, there's a tut about a car, and the whole first section or two deal just with aligning the images to make sure they match when imported to image planes in maya... take a look.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 21-03-2008 , 03:17 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Well not all blueprints are going to line up perfectly.
I normally take my blueprints into Photoshop and make sure they line up, and make all the necessary tweaks if they don't.

But allot of the time they don't line up, and your just going to have to compromise. I only rely on the blue prints to get the right proportions, and then use actual photo refs for all the details, and intricate shapes.

What car are you going to be modeling?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 21-03-2008 , 08:04 PM
I was trying generic compact car(I don't have a name) the images are almsot lined up almsot but still ..I will read that right now user added image
Well I may jsut del with it adn use the 2 correct planes and the 3rd one to creat my CVs and stuff. But Later I'll go into photoshop and try to fix the blueprint problem after this project.

Last edited by jm82792; 21-03-2008 at 08:12 PM.
# 5 21-03-2008 , 10:40 PM
Alright I did the hood and 2 side pieces so I'll open A WIP thread soon. I did all the work while my aunt was talking to me for a loon time :attn: So I guess NURBS are my favorite way then I'll convert to poly and since it is a no name car I'll make up my own details.

# 6 22-03-2008 , 04:03 AM
Subscriber
But Later I'll go into photoshop and try to fix the blueprint problem after this project.

thats crazy.., you should do that first.., then do your WIP

use the grid in PS to help you

make sure the canvases are the same size, images the same size.., use the ruler and grid and free transform.., whatever it takes

its all learning and it will save you time and a headache later in maya

Muser added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 7 22-03-2008 , 01:22 PM
I have never used photoshop before so I'd have to learn another program... I have 3 good planes the 3rd one is fixed finally so I am making progress finally. But later I'll work with photoshop/learn it. I'm still new to this I have for a few months jsut learned blend shapes then moved to this and that now I have a small modeling project so more progress then a WIP thread. I greatly prefer taking NURBS planes then bending them to my will user added image

Last edited by jm82792; 22-03-2008 at 01:25 PM.
# 8 22-03-2008 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber
I greatly prefer taking NURBS planes then bending them to my will

lOL, yes maya can give one a sense of power as we bend metal bars and create images in our own likeness.

blendshapes are fun.., stick with the basics though and get one of alias's learning books, that way you will learn faster.

learn photoshop soon, you will need it, and a compositor for your animations, like after effects or videomach. (free/inexpensive)

its all a big learning curve, the WIP is a good place to start and a good idea.

# 9 22-03-2008 , 07:19 PM
Okay I'll learn photoshop soon and will buy an alias learning book. Blend shapes are cool I have a character that looks like he came from the swamp but making the lips properly so the lattice does it's job right is a pain. I'm 15 right now and I'd love to do this as a career but well I'll see user added image
Thanks for the help I needed a boost to get myself started since I stop and start when modeling with maya...

Last edited by jm82792; 22-03-2008 at 07:23 PM.
# 10 22-03-2008 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber
I'm 15 right now and I'd love to do this as a career but well I'll see

you are at a good age and a good time i the digital age to get work in this area.., you will if you really want it.., but approach it systematically and learn efficiently.., eg, book or course.., or asking questions here.

Thanks for the help I needed a boost to get myself started since I stop and start when modeling with maya...

you will continue to start and stop without a plan to learn

keep it up the good work user added image