Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 10-09-2008 , 02:41 AM

Object Space Normals in 2d bump attributes?

Hello.

Maya 8.5 on a Precision 690. 2 G RAM, OS: Windows XP-Pro

I am trying to add a normal map I made in another program as a bump map in maya. To do this I was told go to the 2D bump attributes > Use as: > Object Space Normals.

However, when I open the Use As drop window there is only Tangent Space Normals as an option. How do I add select Object Space Normals as an option?

Is there a plug in I can load?

Any help most welcome.

Thanks, Tristan

# 2 10-09-2008 , 03:14 AM
why would you use object space? that screws up lighting anyway. as for your question, Its a new feature in maya 2008, otherwise there IS a long process to get it working. Im not the person to ask about that though, haha.
-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 10-09-2008 , 04:30 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Must be new to 08.

Why are you using this setting anyway. You said you want the Bump node to use your normal map as a bump... So why change it to normal map?

Just convert your Normal to a Bump map. Crazy Bump is free I think, and it can do this all for you.

Else you could just take it into photochop, then Grey scale.

To be honest I think it will except the straight normal map.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 10-09-2008 , 08:22 AM
Thanks guys. I'll just play around with what I have got.

The normal map I made following a tutorial where the user then imports it in to Autodesk 2008. It wasn't till I got to that step in the tutorial that I discovered that this was one of the areas was 2008 is different than 8.5

I'll come up with something.

T