Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-04-2009 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber

Chirone - Spaceship Challenge: The Unity

i thought i'd try this too...

except i couldn't figure out what race my spaceship belonged to

for a while it was the pirate ship because i was just putting random things together that the pirates might have taken from other ships following a whole add-to-the-ship-anything-that-works-and-gives-it-more-speed-and-fire-power-aesthetics-come-last approach

the assymetry of it was really weird and it didn't look very balanced

so then it changed a bit and became the unity race's ship.

given that it travels in space means it can have energy weapons and having wings probably isn't so important......

anyway, the ship is made from seperate parts and these seperate parts can operated by themselves and unite to a bigger ship...
each green oval thing has one thing from the unity race floating inside with tubes shoved into them (i suppose think matrix...) so yeah...

it's not as detailed as tweety's or dango's and it probably wont be because i can never figure out where to make those random little tubes, wires, and boxes....

also, since the entities 'plug-in' to their ships i figure the ships will have some organic-like components to it... in this case, it'll most likely be the hands that grab onto the green spheres and the hands that connect the different little ships together

anyway, attached is a simply maya exclusive look at the blocking out of the ship
parts are coloured so you can see it a little better i think...actually i have no idea why i stuck on default blinn shaders on there...
it reminds me of the old days of swift3D... the way it's coloured that is...

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 12-04-2009 at 06:22 AM.
# 2 12-04-2009 , 07:20 AM
Subscriber
Hey Chirone,
great start to your spaceship and a really interesting design.
since it is an organic ship a few tubes, flowing in and out of the pod would look cool. Can't wait to see more of this.
Keep up the good work.

View my Portfolio at
https://whyte.cgsociety.org
# 3 12-04-2009 , 09:27 AM
Subscriber
I like the shape and where your going with it - but I must say I not a fan of the feet!

# 4 12-04-2009 , 11:15 AM
Good to see you're in the comp Chirone, I'm liking how you can see everyone's personal style in their models and yours is definitely in this, lots of cool shapes going on there! Good luck with it!

# 5 12-04-2009 , 03:35 PM
EduSciVis-er
haha... I do like the feet

# 6 12-04-2009 , 09:53 PM
hey - really like the design - cool - but yeah - i'm with tweetytunes on this one - do not like the feet. user added image might be nice to beef everything up a bit, maybe play with the relative sizes of the shapes - the green piece seems to be getting a bit lost.

# 7 12-04-2009 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber
whyte: yeah i can't wait to see more of this too

tweety: just for you i'm redesigning the feet :p
actually those are remnants of the old Schivas concept... they would attack victims from above and so it seemed fitting to have claws... what better claws are there than talons?
they are changing to be a little more umm... i dunno-like

dango: yeah it's weird how i can't escape my (i suppose) signature designs... kinda annoying sometimes, but i suppose my original stuff is always identifyable as mine (although that's not so bad, because if someone nicks my stuff you guys will know :p)

stwert: i have the feet sitting in front of me, so it's kinda easy to model, same with the giant guns at the bottom there...

the main inspirations on the design are Final Fantasy (10 and crisis core in particular) and Zoids... the feet and the guns are kinda exactly the same as the model i have sitting around, so i'm gonna have to do something about that to make it less recognizable as a zoid

arran: you posted while i was typing... ninja
the little green things will probably stay little, i'll try to make them stand out more
yeah, the feet don't really match the ship... but that bottom part of the ship is kinda like a mech from mechwarrior because it seemed like the ship needed something underneath it, so i stuck on it legs, the legs will fold up though

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX

Last edited by Chirone; 12-04-2009 at 10:00 PM.
# 8 12-04-2009 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
now you said the final fantasy thing I can see it - in 10 its the flying city were she gets married - but also just like the schools in ff8 (man I loved that game).

You don`t have to change them just for me (or arren) I was just saying I`m not a fan - its your model.

# 9 12-04-2009 , 10:44 PM
Subscriber
you mean Bevelle?
the green ring is based on the Fahrenheit Airship, the wings are based on Bahamut Retsu, the functionality of them is equally pretty much the same too
those spikes will fire off and move around like swords

well, i didn't quite like the talons too, it's hard to find good feet

in the end the new feet are kinda inspired from bahamut sin and the gekkos from MGS4 (which i have now! YAY user added image)

(alright... 1600 posts, a square number)

# 10 12-04-2009 , 11:44 PM
It's too dark. I cant even see the feet (so I am sad).

Actually I copied the jpg to desktop and opened it in acdsee and them cranked the levels up so I did get to see the feet.

Looking good C.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 11 13-04-2009 , 12:23 AM
Subscriber
must be you pc, it looks fine on my main pc and the laptop and here on my ps3

# 12 13-04-2009 , 12:24 AM
The feet also remind me of mysterious Cities of Gold (if anyone remembers that...)
And now everyone's said it I can see the FF look,8 was my favorite, played that forever and a day!
Keep it up Chirone, and do your thing,as it's good!

# 13 13-04-2009 , 12:42 AM
Subscriber

# 14 13-04-2009 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
ctbram, yeah, default lighting isn't always the best eh? i did mutiply an ambient occlusion onto it, just for fun...
it'll stay with the default lighting for a long time i think, or until i decide to throw in a few directional lights to brighten it up

tweety, how do you view stuff on a ps3?

dango and tweety, i've never heard of city of gold and i've only seen trailers of he-man... heheh you guys are making me think i've missed out on so much user added image

once the feet have been remade i'll post non-exclusive SM footage

# 15 13-04-2009 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
with the web browser that comes with it - i use it when playing games down stairs.