Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-09-2009 , 09:54 AM

Starting with Matte Painting for Film

Hi!

I know, this might be the wrong place for my question but since I always got very good answers from the simply maya community I post it here:

I want step into Digital Matte Painting for film and I found that video-tutorial by Christian Lorenz Scheurer on Gnomon Workshop. My question is: Is this tutorial a good place to start with or is it too advanced for somebody who have no experience with matte painting. I do have a good understanding of photoshop but I only used it for texturing and some other basic stuff yet.

My goal is to make photorealistic paintings for film, set-extensions, backgrounds and so on.

So if anyone have watched his tutorial yet, please let me know before I buy!

Thank you user added image
Cheers, kimsay

# 2 20-09-2009 , 04:13 PM
Subscriber
I haven't seen it but it looks like a foundation series to matte painting so looks exactly like the kind of thing you would be after.

Chris

# 3 21-09-2009 , 10:31 AM
Thank you for your estimation! I think I will get that DVD and try to learn. I think matte painting is a very difficult job, isn't it?

Cheers!

# 4 21-09-2009 , 10:48 AM
The Nurb Herd
i guess it depends... if you don't know what you are doing it would be difficult!

i don't know much about what the DMPs do day to day, but i would imagine they do a lot of texture projections and use more than just photoshop (definitely for set extensions, i'd imagine thats shake.)

the texture department in film use bodypaint3d and photoshop.

you should post some of your work, gec-t and thx1138 do some pretty sweet paintings, i'm sure they will help you out a bit.

if you missed thx's latest thread its very impressive and... here