Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 19-03-2004 , 02:56 AM

Subaru Rally Racer

I've gone through several NURBS modeling tutorials with curves and fillet/trim, so now I've decided to try and model something substantial.

So I found this tutorial on how to make a NURBS Subaru rally racer with curves. Well, it's more like a guideline on how this guy created his, it's not really a step-by-step tutorial.

Here is the tutorial I am following: https://www.gmask.com/tutorials/wrx_t...tutorial.shtml

This thread will be for my experiences as I build this model, and for any feedback you guys wish to throw at me along the way. user added image

So far I'm about 50% of the way through making the curves, I seem to be taking a little longer than I'd like in creating the curves, but I guess that's ok. I'd rather take my time and be a little anal about the curves and have less problems later.

Anyways, here is my first W.I.P shot:

Attached Thumbnails

"The first rule in government spending: 'Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?'" - From the movie 'Contact'.
# 2 19-03-2004 , 03:59 PM
nurbs car... cool. I have tried to create nurb's car but always failed. I hope you can complete it. I have probelms getting the image planes correct user added image

Noo0ooB... beginner... novice... newby... I'am new ! ! !

VERY BAD ENGLISH !
# 3 19-03-2004 , 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Reimo005
nurbs car... cool. I have tried to create nurb's car but always failed. I hope you can complete it. I have probelms getting the image planes correct user added image

Yea, my Front plane is a little off (a smidge low), but it's not a big deal. All the other views are fine, so I was able to get all the curves set ok with just Top and Side.

Attached are the finished curves, I'll snap all the center curves to grid so they all end at 0 on the x-axis, then get started on the front bumper/grill a little later today.

Here are my finished curves:

Attached Thumbnails

"The first rule in government spending: 'Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?'" - From the movie 'Contact'.
# 4 19-03-2004 , 08:20 PM
Ok, this is probably it for today. I converted my image planes to a different method, which ended up making the reference images much clearer than my previous ones. It also made the images the correct propotions, so I sat and tweaked my curves so they would be correct. My Front view is now correct too.

After that I extruded my bumper/grill, then tweaked the CVs so it would flatten out near the wheel well.

I also did a preliminary Biral 3+ operation on the hood, but have yet to tweak it.

The blue Blinn that I placed on each piece of the car is so I can see more detail, and I can see where I have small reflection errors for when it is textured. The blue is not the final color. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Exdaix; 19-03-2004 at 08:30 PM.
# 5 21-03-2004 , 12:36 AM

New Hood

Ok, I now have a new hood which took quite a long time to make. I rebuilt all of the hood curves with 3 spans, re-tweaked CV's, birailed, then rebuilt the hood with 6 spans for U and V. I then tweaked the CV's quite a bit to make a nice, more abrupt bevel from the higher center of the hood, to the lower side of the hood. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.

I also added a curve to the right of the hood, which is over the wheel. I also rebuilt all of those curves in the wheel well area and front headlight area with 3 spans, then cleaned up the CV's. I tried some preliminary biraling, but it kept erroring out. Maybe it is from the weird shape, or maybe I have a point that is not connected somewhere...

Here is a screenshot of my new sexy hood. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 21-03-2004 , 09:53 PM

Bah

I still cannot Birail these curves, can someone help me with why it refuses to work?

I'm sure all of my points are either connected to another curves end point, or is connected to the middle of a curve. I've done snap to point and snap to curve and made sure they are all correct.

Below are my curves, I highlighted each one in a different color. (See my previous post for a non-highlighted version) Is there any reason this would not work?

I figured the red curve might be the problem since it is not only on the top, but on the left side of the birail-to-be. so I detached it near where the light would be, and snapped the points, but it still wouldn't work.

Please help! user added image

EDIT: Ok, I hid everything in my scene except the curves I needed, then took out my hammer and bashed it to death for a while, and viola! It birailed! Basically what was wrong was the red curve needed to be detached, the green curve was not snapped to the pink curve (but was so very very close), and the red and cyan curves were like 0.01 units apart. I have no idea how all those things were messed up when I had jsut check them several times over... OH well, it's all working now. I'll have an update with a screenshot probably tomarrow, since it is quite late tonight to get much done, besides tweaking the birailed surface a little.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Exdaix; 22-03-2004 at 02:59 AM.
# 7 23-03-2004 , 01:56 AM

Fender Done

Phew! The wheel well/fender area is complete. Lots of CV playtime and curve/surface rebuilding with this one!

I have not attached or stitched the pieces together yet, but that will come in due time. I'm trying to figure out the whole reasoning for detaching the front of the hood so stitching will be "continuous" as the tutorial put it... :/

Hopefully I'll have another update tomarrow, but for tonight, here is a screenshot of my fender:

Attached Thumbnails