Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 76 22-01-2012 , 07:56 PM
I would like to see a tutorial base on VFX. Characters, Hard surface,texturing, rendering and composting.
I know that, there is a lot of tutorial for character/creatures. but i want to see something more bigger, like, creature or character, that can be seen on movies. High detailed sculpted, textured etc.

# 77 22-01-2012 , 08:23 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Maximiliano....the stuff we have currently on the site is geared toward that kind of work anyway, but, we are currently in the process of creating some new content which will include some more hi res sculpting and creature work in the future....

Watch this space....

Jay

# 78 22-01-2012 , 10:52 PM
The Nurb Herd
that kind of stuff isn't made by one person alone.

# 79 23-01-2012 , 07:22 AM
Lifetime Member

Maximiliano....the stuff we have currently on the site is geared toward that kind of work anyway, but, we are currently in the process of creating some new content which will include some more hi res sculpting and creature work in the future....

Watch this space....

Jay

Did I read "...creature work in the future...."?????????????
Jay, whatever is from out of space, ugly, beasty, or fantasy creatures training materials are always welcome!
I have a crazy crave for alien / creature related things.... user added image

# 80 23-01-2012 , 09:56 AM
Yeah creature work in the future...not far off...need to complete a new tute for here first.

Dom: hehe depends where you work......

J

# 81 30-01-2012 , 11:35 PM
I want a Tutorial for a Game Weapon like the Glock 19.

1. Modeling HIGH Poly
2. Modeling LOW Poly
3. Transfer Detail from High Poly to Low Poly via Normalmap
4. Texturing the Weapon (Complete Process of Create UV MAP, Paint in Photoshop, Import the ready done UV MAP to the Mesh)
5. Animate things like : Shot, Reload...

That would be nice because im working on a Glock 19 and the normal map is making problems. I want to import the Weapon into the UDK...

Greetz

# 82 31-01-2012 , 06:36 AM
Lifetime Member

im working on a Glock 19 and the normal map is making problems

a few things to help you out a bit
a) make sure your low res model is optimized to the lowest amount of polys you can triangulate.
b) soften the Normals on all the edges in between the edges that have to be hard (ie edge of the mesh).
c) for each projection lay out your UV's and cut the hard edges so you only have pieces with a single hard border and soft edges in the center and move them slightly apart.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 83 11-04-2012 , 10:28 AM
i'm an amateur, i haven't read all the thread -hopefully, i would like to see these tutorials from SimplyMaya (it might be tough though) :

PS: i don't use Autodesk vocab (remember i'm an amateur)

1-Modelling a castle (exterior + interior design) :Classical & Baroque ages architechture (Gothic statues and shapes,high walls, long windows,roof bricks, clocks, garden,Baroque furniture,..and so on )

2-From Mudbox to maya warrior design +Modelling armor for acient warriors (Helmet, Chest, Gloves, Sword,sculpting on armor,...making it more realistic and complex)

3-modelling and texturing high peaks with wild enviroment (eagles,slopes,plain,sun reflections on the cam,snowy mountains, wind affecting trees,waterfalls,clouds,rain,water splash,meadow,forests,...)

4-assigning zbrush/mudbox character with GreenScreen (mixing real directing with CGI)

maybe i'm late for posting - anyways i'll very appreciative and thankful for SM if they make these tutorials.

anthony

Last edited by anthony77; 11-04-2012 at 12:25 PM.
# 84 11-04-2012 , 06:39 PM
Lifetime Member
Anthony,

Those sound like some good ideas for tutorials hopefully they will do some of them though they already have interior and exterior tutorials for houses and the techniques taught in them just need some slight adaptations to build a castle. Check out the Taj Mahal tut here it is really good for teaching building techniques.

also these ideas are big tasks that usually are taken on by a team of people not a single person, and you have to consider what the purpose of it would be. Most productions "i.e.movies" don't ever bother modeling entire structures just scenes but I still like the ideas.

- Jake

Last edited by joverall22; 11-04-2012 at 06:42 PM.
# 85 11-04-2012 , 07:51 PM
thanks for your post Jake - actually, i did check the Taj Mahal once , and it seemed very amazing- but very simple though.I would like to see Gothic and Baroque architechture (from the inside out) tutorials exectuted by SM.

correct me if i'm wrong - the way I see it : SimplyMaya is a 3D CGI company with a big team that makes tutorials - I thought they can accomplish this kind of tutorials from A to Z - and the price of those special tutorials will be higher than the others.
it might take 6 months or more for these lessons to be accomplished - and it is worth waiting for it-and that is my humble suggestion for SimplyMaya.user added image

anthony

Last edited by anthony77; 11-04-2012 at 08:37 PM.
# 86 29-04-2012 , 02:33 AM
Guys, where are you planning to release more tutorials? I have been waiting this for ages to come something new. Jay, you told me that's you guys making some high res character/creature, when will be release?

# 87 29-04-2012 , 07:21 AM
Lifetime Member
Monsters? Creatures? I'm hungry for those Jay! Feed us with more monsters, aliens, creatures!!! user added imageuser added imageuser added image

# 88 29-04-2012 , 11:40 AM
Well first and foremost my day job at the studio is top of the list. Most of my time at the moment is taken up between travelling for nearly 3hrs a day and also spending nearly 12 hours at work -so.......you can see where Im at...

Tutorials take time to do. Theres alot of stuff behind the scenes you guys just dont see. If I show you how to do uv's in a chapter or two it will cover one or two objects with a different method on each covered. I then have to spend the next few evenings or when I get time to do the rest ' off camera'. This the boring stuff you guys dont see at all so when you view the videos they all run smoothly. Also some nights, the recording process just doesnt go as you plan LOL, I would love to do an outtake chapter LOL....you would certainly get more than your moneys worth with those LOL

You guys just need to hang in there a bit longer. We are in the process of a couple right now...one of which is a taking far longer than I'd hoped to do (again work commitments are stopping me) I dont like keeping David (admin) waiting for stuff at the best of times...and he's the boss, so just bear with us/me...

The creature one is next on the list after the one Im currently doing, and will cover more something along the lines of the Alien tutorial, so that wont be coming out over night LOL

thanks for your patience and just hang on....

Jay

# 89 29-04-2012 , 11:54 AM
Thanks you Jay for this. I hope for summer you'll get some more free time, to do this tutorials. Would like to tell me, is the characters/creature tutorials will be movie like or game like? I really want to know to make movie like characters/creatures. Like, Iron Man, Hulk etc.

# 90 29-04-2012 , 11:55 AM
Lifetime Member
Hey Jay.
No worries, we are just hunger for your training.
If you need more time, no worries, we understand.

So, there's an Alien hidding under your closet??? Something like the Alien Surfing volume 2???

Really looking forward to it mate. user added image