Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-12-2018 , 09:12 PM

Maya Python: Building Generator Script Issues

Hello! I just thought I'd post on here to see if anyone wouldn't mind helping me fix a few issues I'm having with my script. I'm very new to this whole Maya Python thing, and was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind taking a look at what I have?

The Goal:
I'm trying to create a building generator that spawns building pieces based on while loop iterators. I'm trying to get the BBox value for the Width and Height of a given model, and use the iterator to duplicate, move, and rotate based on the UI input.

Here's what's working and what isn't:

What's Working:
  • Builds window sections, freezes pivot, and translates on top of the ground plane.
  • Groups window sections into a single "building".
  • User Interface spawns with intSliderGrps and text fields.

What's Not Working:
  • The windows are no longer being generated based on my while loops I created for the duplication and rotation of the window panel.
  • I'm not able to get the result of the xmax - xmin and assign that as my window "Width" as well as subtracting the ymax from the ymin to get the "Height".
  • the UI values aren't making that connection to my while loops so my UI knows how many sections of window panel it needs.

If anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong or how I could go about doing this more efficiently, I'd love for some feedback!

Thanks so much!

Attached Files
File Type: txt buildingGeneratorScript.txt (5.9 KB, 1027 views)